Chapter 19. Kiriko

As soon as Katsuo had made it to the mecha suit and entered the cockpit, they had entered the city, and Kiriko noticed Korra running toward the mecha suit. Mako and Tenzin were there as well.

Tenzin landed on top of the colossus with his glider.

Katsuo: I'll take care of him.

Kiriko saw Katsuo climb up onto the roof. A few minutes later, Tenzin fell off, his glider rendered immobile.

Kiriko saw Korra trying to metalbend the colossus, but it was made out of platinum.

Kiriko: You'll never be a good enough metalbender, Korra.

Kuvira metalbent the colossus to shoot a spirit energy beam at Korra, forcing her and Mako to flee the scene.

A few minutes later, suddenly all the mecha suits in the streets stopped working and crumbled to the ground, leaving only the giant mecha suit.

Kiriko: That was an electromagnetic pulse. It shut down the mecha-suits, but our power source is fine, because it's powered by spirit vine energy.

Kuvira: We need to locate the source of the pulse. That must be where Varrick is.

Kiriko used seismic sense to try and figure out where the pulse had come from. Then she located it.

Kiriko: I found the source of the electromagnetic pulse. Future industries tower.

Kuvira: That's the place.

Two hummingbird suits flew toward them from future industries tower, one with Varrick and Zhu Li, and one with Hiroshi and Asami.

Kuvira metalbent the weapon to point at them, and they immediately flew away again.

They flew over a river, and the colossus pursued them.

Then, Kiriko looked below and saw Korra waterbend the water from the river upwards, freezing the colossus in place.

The weapon shot, and Varrick and Zhu Li dodged, but their hummingbird suit was too badly damaged. It headed for the ground when Kiriko saw them both eject, caught by their parachutes.

Kiriko: One down, one to go.

Hiroshi and Asami's mosquito landed on part of the colossus that was exposed, and attempted to cut through the platinum with a plasma saw.

Kiriko: Not today!

Kuvira metalbent as hard as she could to try and break the colossus free from the ice.

Kiriko: I'll help.

Kiriko helped her, and they got one arm free before Hiroshi and Asami managed to crack in.

The arm smashed down on their hummingbird suit, killing the both of them.

The airbenders ran toward them, no longer wearing glider suits.

Kuvira raised the weapon and shot it at them, killing them.

The colossus finally broke completely free of the ice.

Korra and Mako looked up at them with a horrified look on their faces.

The mecha suits had recovered from the electromagnetic pulse, and now surrounded Korra and Mako completely.

Kuvira raised the weapon and pointed it at them.

Kuvira: It's over. Surrender.

They didn't respond.

Kiriko and Katsuo exited the colossus through the hatch, and went down to where Korra and Mako were.

Kiriko: Now do you understand? The earth empire needs to be united, and we will stop at nothing. Raiko already signed the contract.

Kiriko thrust the fully signed contract in Korra's face.

Kiriko: It's over.

Katsuo: You can't stand up against the whole world. You have to recognize that what you're doing is wrong and reckless beyond words.

Korra: I understand. The united republic belongs to the earth empire. I will no longer try to take it. The moment I lost to Kuvira at zaofu, I should've stopped as I agreed to. It took me a while to see it, but I finally do. I lost this battle a long time ago.

Mako: So we're surrendering?

Korra: We should've surrendered a long time ago. Yes, we surrender.

Kuvira lowered her weapon.

The mecha suits restrained Korra and Mako, and took them away.

Kuvira got off her colossus and walked over to Kiriko and Katsuo.

Kuvira: Thank you for all your hard work. I never could have done this without you.

Katsuo: It was an honor!

Kiriko: The earth empire is finally fully united.

Baatar Jr's airship touched down in front of them. He disembarked and ran over to them.

Baatar Jr: We've done it, Kuvira. Now we can get married.

Kuvira: Yes. Let's do it.

They dropped an earth empire banner on the front of republic city. The city had suffered some damage during the fight, but they made sure to repair it all. Then, Kiriko and Katsuo attended Kuvira and Baatar Jr's marriage in ba sing se.