Chapter 14. Katsuo

Jinora: Korra, you have to go stop Su before she does something terrible.

Katsuo: There's no need. I already warned them via radio, but it sounds like they were expecting Su to be afraid of a fair fight.

Korra: Good thinking, Katsuo!

Katsuo: Thanks!

The speakers in zaofu suddenly came on.

Kuvira: Attention, citizens of Zaofu. Your leader, Suyin Beifong, attempted to attack me tonight while I slept, ignoring the terms of our truce. Luckily, I now have her and her assault team in custody.

Katsuo: Take that, deceitful coward.

Kuvira: Rest assured that I will not take revenge on the peaceful citizens of zaofu, as long as your remaining representatives meet me outside the city at dawn to offer the full and unconditional surrender of your city to unite the earth empire. That is all.

Opal: We have to go break out mom and my brothers.

Jinora: You swore an oath of nonaggression when you became an airbender. You can't just attack Kuvira.

Korra: Jinora is right. Your mom attacked the camp. And during a truce, no less! Kuvira was just defending herself.

Katsuo: Your mom is a deceitful coward, and so are Wing and Wei. They deserve everything that's coming to them and more. If you're actually thinking of helping them, then so do you.

Korra: Katsuo and I will go talk to Kuvira at dawn, and maybe we can work something out. I promise I'll do everything I can to keep the peace.

Opal: I'll go with you.

Katsuo, Korra, and Opal met Kuvira and her army in the valley by zaofu. Suyin, Wing, and Wei were there too, unharmed.

Kuvira: I've already laid out my terms, and they're very reasonable. Su tried to take me out during our peaceful negotiations. Now turn over zaofu.

Korra: I can't just let you take the city.

Kuvira: Korra, you are interfering with internal earth empire business and letting your personal feelings get in the way of reason. Zaofu cannot continue to rule itself. They have been hoarding their riches and technology too long. I'm here to distribute those resources fairly throughout the nation. This is about equality. The only way you're going to keep me from marching into zaofu is if you physically stop me. Now what are you going to do?

Korra: It looks like you're not giving me a choice.

Kuvira: Fine.

Kuvira turned to address the mass of earth empire soldiers.

Kuvira: I want you all to know that I would never ask any of you to do something that I'm not willing to do myself. So rather than risk your lives, I will fight the Avatar one-on-one.

Kuvira turned back around to face Korra.

Kuvira: Korra, if you win, then you can do whatever you want with zaofu. But after I beat you, I want you out of my business for good. I'm the one who brought peace to the earth empire, not you. You're not relevant here anymore.

Korra: Fine. You want to fight the Avatar? Then let's finish this right here, right now!

Opal: Don't mess around. Kuvira is too good. Just go into the Avatar state and get it over with.

Katsuo: OPAL! The avatar state is CHEATING! What is WRONG with you!?

Opal seemed stunned by Katsuo's sudden outburst.