Chapter 16. Katsuo

In Kuvira's factory, Katsuo and Baatar Jr were getting ready to test the spirit weapon.

Baatar Jr: All right, everybody, let's test the power core. I want everything ready for the full demonstration for Kuvira tomorrow. Load the energy capsule.

Two mecha suits loaded the spirit vine energy capsule into the weapon.

Baatar Jr: Katsuo, initialize phase one.

Katsuo had worked really hard on the weapon. She prayed that it would work as she pushed the lever to turn it on.

A current ran through the spirit vine sample, coursing with energy. It began to radiate its purplish glow. At the opening of the cannon's turret, a ball of purple energy materialized. Katsuo breathed a sigh of relief.

Baatar Jr: It works!

Katsuo: We shouldn't waste energy, though. I'm going to turn it off.

Katsuo shut it down.

Katsuo: We should still check everything tonight, though. Make sure that it's still ready by tomorrow.

Kuvira and Kiriko walked over to them, and Baatar Jr and Katsuo got off the machine to go talk to them.

Baatar Jr: I didn't expect you until tomorrow.

Kuvira looked up at the cannon.

Kuvira: I just wanted to check in and make sure everything was on track. It looks wonderful.

Baatar Jr: It's working just fine. We'll be ready for the test tomorrow.

Katsuo: But we're going to take everything apart tonight just to make sure it works properly for tomorrow. You never know.

Kuvira: Tell the troops and factory workers to attend tomorrow's demonstration. I want them all to witness this incredible new weapon in action.

Kuvira and Baatar Jr left. Katsuo was going to walk away too, but Kiriko stopped her.

Kiriko: Katsuo, do you feel that?

Katsuo: What?

Kiriko: Try using seismic sense.

Katsuo took off her shoes and felt the vibrations in the earth. There were intruders.

Katsuo: Intruders.

Kiriko: Yes. And I think I have a good idea about what they're going to try and do. Let's pursue them.

Katsuo: I was thinking the same thing.

Kiriko and Katsuo stayed hidden, walking around to the other side of the factory. They saw Toph, Lin, and Bolin had come. Most likely to try and free their family.

Kiriko and Katsuo saw them leave.

Kiriko: They're probably going to come back during the test tomorrow.

Katsuo: Yeah. I'm gonna go check the machine, and then we'll catch them tomorrow.