Chapter 5. Kiriko

A little later, during the coronation, Wu gave a speech.

Wu: I am touched by the love of my devoted countrymen who have worked so hard to restore their beloved leader to the throne. One of them deserves special attention. Kuvira? Rise.

Kuvira stood up and walked over to Wu.

Wu: For your service to the realm, I would like to present you with the kyoshi medal of freedom, our nation's highest honor, which was somehow not stolen, unlike the royal pinkie rings.

Kuvira put the medal on.

Kuvira: Thank you. And if you don't mind, I'd like to say a few words.

Wu: Why not? We've got six hours to fill.

Kuvira addressed the crowd.

Kuvira: Growing up in zaofu with Suyin Beifong, I learned that the idea of a royal family passing a title from one generation to the next was archaic, and that technology and innovation should be what drives a nation forward. It was the pathetic rule of kings and queens that caused the earth kingdom to descend into such incredible disarray. It's taken me three years to get it back on track, and there's no way I will allow it to slip back into the dark ages. I'd like to make an announcement to the world. The earth kingdom is no more. And from here on out, this man has no authority.

Kuvira jabbed a finger angrily at Wu.

Wu: Wait, what? But I just got the royal brooch.

Kuvira: I have created a new earth empire, and I will continue to lead it into the future myself, bringing about a new era of prosperity for my people.

A first unnamed voice in the crowd: We love you, Kuvira!

A second unnamed voice in the crowd: All hail the great uniter!

Kuvira: And let me assure my fellow leaders of one thing... anyone who crosses our borders or stands in our way will be crushed.

A third unnamed voice in the crowd: Thank you, Kuvira!

A fourth unnamed voice in the crowd: All hail the great uniter!

Wu hung his head.

Wu: Worst coronation ever.

Kiriko (thinking): Well said, Kuvira.

A little later, Kiriko, Bolin, and Varrick headed back to the presidential suite and talked there together.

Bolin: Were you surprised? Because I was really surprised. Won't this turn all the world leaders against us?

Varrick: Relax, kid, what can they do? Kuvira controls the whole nation now, and republic city is begging for the metal that we're mining. This train has left the station, And we own the track!

Kiriko: To put it another way, we're going to make a difference. No more earth kingdom monarchy! Now we're going to change the world and help everyone, just like we've been doing. This is going to be amazing.

Varrick left the room to work on the spirit vine project.

Kuvira entered the room.

Kuvira: You look worried, bolin.

Bolin: Yeah, well... I just have some misgivings about how you kind of ambushed Tenzin and the other leaders.

Kuvira: You believe in the work that we've done for the people of the earth empire, right, Bolin?

Bolin: I do, but...

Kuvira: Then stick with me. I'm going to need your help now more than ever. Raiko and the other leaders want to bully us into accepting some idiot king who will serve them but neglect the people. We have to stand strong against them.

Bolin: I'm just not sure about this whole empire thing. It seems pretty aggressive. And what was that part about the crushing?

Kuvira: That was just some tough rhetoric to let people know that we mean business. Believe me, conflict is the last thing I want. Will you help me make history, Bolin?

Bolin: I'll stand by you.

Kuvira: What about you, Kiriko?

Kiriko: You know I will!

Kuvira: Thank you.

Bolin left the room and Suyin entered the room.

Kiriko: What do YOU want?

Suyin: I met with the world leaders, and I've come as their representative.

Kuvira: So now you're taking an interest in world affairs? A little late, isn't it?

Kiriko: Stay out of this, Suyin. We've worked hard to do what you were too cowardly to do these past three years, so you have SOME NERVE thinking you can step in NOW.

Kuvira: When the queen fell and everyone was asking you to help keep the earth kingdom from falling apart, all you wanted to do was hide in zaofu and let others deal with the consequences.

Suyin: I'm telling you, for the good of everyone, you have to step down.

Kuvira: I stepped up. I provide stability and equality. Tell your world leaders to stay out of earth empire business. We won't accept their hand-picked dictator.

Suyin: Don't pretend the people put you where you are.

Kiriko: They most certainly did!

Suyin: I know what happens to cities who don't want to hand over control to you.

Kuvira: Then you know what's coming for zaofu.

Suyin left the room, and Kiriko went to go find Bolin, who was storming back to their suite, clearly angry.

Kiriko: What's wrong?

Bolin: Mako doesn't get it. He can just go lick the king's boots in his JUNIOR suite for all I care.

Kiriko: Varrick's going to develop the new technology. You want to go watch?

Bolin: Sure.

They walked back to the train, where Varrick was experimenting on a spirit vine.

Kuvira: From now on, developing this technology is your number one priority.

Varrick: This is going to change everything.