Chapter 7. Kiriko

The earth empire army headed for zaofu through the valley, both airships and ground troop, with Kiriko, Kuvira, and Baatar Jr heading for zaofu by train.

Baatar Jr: By this time tomorrow, my mother will have signed our treaty, and the earth empire will finally be united.

Kuvira: Don't get ahead of yourself. Securing your hometown won't be like every other city.

Baatar Jr: Zaofu stopped being my home long ago. I'm ready to take it by force.

Kuvira: No. The eyes of the world are on us now. We must do this right.

Suddenly, they heard an explosion from one end of the train, and rushed over to find Varrick and Zhu Li standing in front of a huge hole blown up in the back of the train.

Kuvira: What happened? Were we attacked?

Varrick: No, we were spirit-vined, but don't worry. I'm putting the kibosh on this project.

Kuvira: No, you're not. Do you realize what we can do with this kind of power?

Varrick: Yes, I do. And that's why we've got to put an end to it. What if it fell into the wrong hands?

Kuvira: Since when does that matter to you?

Varrick: I know. It's not like me, right? Usually, I look at a project like this, and all I think is, "wow, I can make a ton of money off this!" But recently, I've been having these strange feelings inside. It's like I'm... concerned with others. And there's this nagging voice in my head constantly telling me what's right from wrong.

Zhu Li: I believe that voice is your conscience, sir.

Kuvira: Well, I'm the other voice in your head, and I'm telling you, you will continue this project.

Varrick: Sorry, no. I just really got to stand my ground on this one.

Kuvira metalbent the collar of Varrick's uniform and thrust him out into the air through the back of the train, holding him over the tracks.

Varrick: Whoa!

Kuvira: Now there's a voice in my head telling me to drop you on the tracks. Should I listen?

Varrick: No, no! Head voices are liars! What do head voices know? I'll work on the project! Please don't drop me!

Kuvira dropped Varrick back in the train, and him and Zhu Li got back to working on the project.

Kuvira: Kiriko, I need to talk to you.

Kiriko: Why?

They walked back to the other end of the train.

Kuvira: We're so close to uniting the empire, but Su's judgement is clouded, and it might keep her from making a wise decision. She probably will need to hear the information from someone other than me or Baatar. We think you and Bolin can help us with that.

Kiriko: I can do that. By the time I'm finished telling her all the amazing things we've done while she's been holed up in zaofu, she'll be begging to help us reunite.

Kuvira: Good, because we're here.

Bolin entered the room.

Bolin: Aren't all these troops gonna send the wrong message?

Kuvira: The army is here to project strength. We're here to present peace.

When they arrived at zaofu, they met with Suyin and the rest of the metal clan.

Suyin: I'm not giving up zaofu. I don't care if you brought your entire army.

Kuvira: Su, I didn't bring my army to threaten you. I wanted to show you all that your son and I have accomplished.

Baatar: Son, you belong here.

Baatar Jr: Why? So that I can go on living in your shadow?

Suyin: Don't say that! Can't you see she's brainwashed you?

Baatar Jr crossed his arms, unconvinced.

Kuvira: Ha, I didn't brainwash him. I set him free. And now he's accomplished more with me than he ever could have with you.

Bolin: Okay, guys, obviously, there's a lot of personal, painful history here. So what do say we just all forget about that stuff, huh? I mean, that's the past. You know what I think we need to do? Focus on the future. And the future is bright. Let me tell you. I've seen it. Yeah, saw it last month. We went to this town that had nothing. Most of the people there had never even seen a satomobile before. But now they have two satomobiles, running water, and a magnet train that goes right through their town. I mean, how awesome is that? Now, I don't know what you think you've seen, but I'm giving you the 100% bolin guarantee that we're making the earth empire a better place to live.

Suyin: I can't believe you brought bolin here to try to sway us.

Bolin: No! I came here by choice!

Kiriko: Yeah! Just like me! I've had enough of your attitude, Su! You're just bitter that we saved many lives rebuilding the empire while you cowardly holed up in zaofu!

Suyin: Kuvira, leave. Zaofu will never accept you as their leader.

Kuvira: Then you leave me no choice. You have 24 hours to agree to join the empire, or we take the city by force.