Chapter 6. Katsuo

Katsuo had never been a fan of the monarchy. She had initially been dreading the ceremony, but after hearing Kuvira's speech, she was filled with a feeling of hope for her nation.

Katsuo had initially planned to head back to her hotel directly after the ceremony and leave republic city the next day, but she decided to stick around until Korra got back. She wanted to see her old friend again.

Katsuo was walking through the street when she noticed vandalized posters of Wu on the streets and tried not to laugh.

Katsuo (thinking): He looks even stupider in those posters than in real life.

A few girls passed by wearing shirts with pictures of Kuvira on them.

Katsuo: Where did you get those shirts?

Unnamed girl: Aces, right? Kuvira is my hero.

The girl pointed to a stand full of Kuvira's supporters.

Unnamed girl: They're selling them over there.

Katsuo looked over and saw Wu having a fit right in front of the stand, yelling and tearing his hair out in frustration.

Wu: You can't sell that here! This is the little ba sing se fashion mall, and I'm the little king here! Respect the brooch!

The crowd started booing him.

The crowd: Stop it, little king!

Wu threw his smoothie at them.

The crowd: I'm covered in juice! Get him!

Mako ran over to him.

Mako: We need to get you out of here.

Mako grabbed Wu by the arm and dragged him away.

Wu: This is the worst day of my life!

Mako: Why? Do you really want to be the king? Kuvira spent the last few years working hard to make the earth kingdom better, and the citizens want her to lead them. If you were an earth kingdom citizen, do you think you're the kind of person you want as your king? What have you ever done for your people?

Katsuo (thinking): Looks like Mako finally laid it down on him.

Mako and Wu ran right past Katsuo and away from the angry crowd which chased them all the way out of Katsuo's sight.

Katsuo went over to the stand. The crowd of supporters was gone, probably still chasing Mako and Wu, but the salesperson was still there.

Unnamed salesperson: Step right up! Top quality merchandise on the greatest leader this nation has ever seen! All hail the great uniter!

Asides from the shirts, they were also selling posters, earth empire banners, and an assortment of accessories.

Unnamed salesperson: Are you interested in buying something? Or are you going to look all day?

Katsuo: I might buy something. Just give me a minute to decide.

A metal topknot hairpin with the earth empire logo on it caught Katsuo's eye. She reached for it and picked it up.

Unnamed salesperson: That would look good on you! I recommend it!

Katsuo's sister Kiriko always liked to wear her waist length black hair in a topknot with a long blue ribbon. The topknot hairpin made her think of her sister.

Katsuo: I'll buy it. How much?

Unnamed salesperson: That'll be ten yuans!

Katsuo paid for the hairpin and used it to pull her shoulder length brown hair into a topknot.

Then she left and went back to her hotel.