Chapter 4

The trio now find themselves inside the Empress' chambers, with the Queen present alongside them as the Empress spoke.

Empress: I have never been so humiliated in my life, Beatrice! She must be punished!

Queen: I will talk to her, Catherine.

Empress: She assaults the Empress, and you'll just talk to her? This is why your hive is a laughing stock.

This upsets Maya as she speaks up.

Maya: We are not!

Empress: Really? No rules, no orders. Little bees who talk out of turn...! And you wonder why I don't invite you to the Honey Games.

Y/N squints at the Empress out of anger. A pet peeve he had developed was whenever someone berated Maya harshly, and he was almost close to saying something until the Queen spoke up before he or Maya could say anything.

Queen: Maybe you're scared we'll win.

Empress: Hah! Oh, please. The Honey Games are for elite bugs. You never had what it takes, by the looks of this bumble bug, neither does she.

Queen: Maya is one of my best bees.

Empress: Ha! She's no match for the best of Buzztropolis.

Maya: I am too! And so is Willy!

Queen: Maya!

Despite the Queen's attempt to calm her down, Maya continues.

Maya: Poppy Meadow bees are braver and faster and nicer than any of you city bees!

Y/N couldn't help but smirk at Maya's tenacity, even though he also knew acting this brash was only gonna get her in more trouble. With how the Empress has been talking down to them, he found it hard to tell her to calm down.

After all, he wanted to state his own thoughts about the Empress, and if he did, he'd end up making Maya look restrained by comparison.

Empress: Hmph, oh so confident. Very well then, I invite her and her friend to compete in the Games.

Maya is surprised, as is Willy in a more depressing state. Y/N, however, felt something afoot.

Empress: If they win, all is forgiven. But if they lose...I'll make an example of this pair and take all your summer honey. Every, last, drop.

Y/N widens his eyes, baffled by the audacity of this lady. The Queen is equally baffled and shocked.

Queen: But our hive won't last the winter! Poppy Meadow doesn't even have a team. We're not prepared!

Smirking, the Empress claps her hands together. Beegood, who was standing close by this entire time, turns to her.

Empress: Beegood, assemble a squad of Poppy Meadow's most gifted bugs immediately.

With a snide sigh, Beegood nods.

Beegood: Yes, your regal-ness. Of course.

Y/N finally bursts out in outrage himself. Being forced to give half their honey to attend the Games was one thing, but forcing Maya and Willy to win the Games in order to save the hive?

That was crossing the line.

Y/N: This whole wager is a load of dung and you know it! Pinning the survival of a hive on a kid for bruising your ego? Speaks for how thin your skin is!

Queen: Y/N!

Empress: Ooh? Has my wager irked the ire of the crane fly? And let me guess, you wish to help these little meadow bees in the Games, hm?