Chapter 6

The roars of cheering can be heard as the first day of the Honey Games was commencing. Taking place in a carved out tree trunk arena, an elderly praying mantis hosts the first round while speaking, while Sir Beegood stood nearby.

Mantis: Good morning bugs! And welcome to day one of the competition! Today's event is dodgeball! The team with the fewest points at day's end will be eliminated!

While all the other teams looked determined, Maya and Y/N were the only ones putting on determined faces while the rest were still nervous.

Beegood: First round, Team Burly Bluff versus Team Poppy Meadow.

Team Burly Bluff, all consisting of large beetles, looked over at Poppy Meadow with gruff and cocky faces. Team Poppy Meadow were clearly intimidated, aside from Y/N, Arnie and Barney.

Spinder: Seriously? Even their muscles have muscles.

Y/N snaps his fingers, garnering their attention.

Y/N: Alright, dodgeball's an easy one. Move fast, swing fast, and don't get hit. Put on your game faces and show those beetles whose boss!

Beegood: Teams into position!

Y/N gives Maya the thumbs up, who repeats the gesture back before beckoning for the others to follow her into the arena. Y/N stays back to watch them, unaware of Violet and her team watching from afar and chuckling with a smug tone.

Violet: This should be good.

As the teams finally get into position and armed with pollen balls, Maya gives her team some extra advice.

Maya: We'll be great, just follow my lead. Everyone ready?

Beegood finally blows the whistle and shouts.

Beegood: Play ball!

Within just a few seconds of the game starting, Spinder, Craig, and Bedford get hit and knocked out of the ring. Arnie panics as he narrowly dodges one of the pollen balls and then makes a T-sign with his hands.

Arnie: Time out, time out!

This confuses the other team, while Barney gasps.

Barney: Arnie how did you do that?

Arnie: As long as you make a capital T, you put this hand on top of this hand, the game stops!

Barney: Show me again!

Arnie: Oh sure, you take this hand and-

He gets interrupted with a pollen ball to the chest, and Barney gets hit shortly after failing to call for extra timeout. Maya and Willy are left paralyzed due to intimidation, before they get knocked out of the ring as well. Y/N facepalms and mutters under his breath.

Y/N: Aww jeez...

Beegood: Team Burly Bluff win!

Y/N sighs and flies over to Maya and Willy, helping them back up to their feet.

Y/N: Alright, rough first round...but don't give up now! Like the mantis said, we play till the day is over!

Soon the next round starts, and it's Team Burly Bluff against Team Tropolis. Burly Bluff's leader snickers as he looks at Violet and her team, unintimidated.

Burly Bluff Leader: Well, well, more little bugs.

Team Poppy watch from the sidelines, Willy in particular covering his eyes.

Willy: Oh, poor Violet, I can't watch.

The whistle blows, and the game starts with pollen balls being hurled at Violet's team. However, one of her ladybug teammates catches the enemy pollen and swings it right back at the leader, knocking him out. It doesn't take long for the rest of Burly Bluff to fall as Tropolis wins the round flawlessly.