Chapter 11

Y/N flies down the path Maya had apparently gone through, looking around for any signs of her. Finally, he hears audible sobbing and picks up the pace. He finally finds her, sitting alone on a rock near a pond. He lands gently a fair bit away from her before slowly walking up, frowning as he heard her crying.

Even though her crying wasn't nearly as distressing back when they were imprisoned by Buzzlina months back, it didn't make it any easier to listen to. He silently sits down next to her while she laid her head against her arms, waiting for her to calm down. She finally raises her head a bit to stare at the water's reflection, before widening her eyes a bit in surprise and turning her head towards a softly frowning Y/N.

Y/N: I don't need to ask how're ya feeling, Maya. I already know.

Maya sniffles, tears still in her eyes as she looks back at the water. Y/N pats her on the back gently, giving her a comforting back rub before continuing. That fatherly tone comes back.

Y/N: If you can, can you explain to me what happened? The whole story?

Maya rubs her eyes before looking back up at Y/N, who was clearly concerned for her. With a small sigh, she nods and goes on to explain the whole story. Violet's goading, the race from the top of Slug Hill, and so on. Once she finished, Y/N hums.

Y/N: Just as I thought, she pressured you into doing it.

Maya: Yeah...and now I'm kicked out because of her. All because of her!

Maya starts to cry once again, curling back up while sitting. Y/N frowns sympathetically before wrapping an arm around her in order to comfort her. He understood her frustration, but at the same time, it was still Maya's choice to agree to Violet's challenge regardless of the circumstances.

And he knew all too well what happens when a bug makes a choice driven purely by emotion.

Y/N: I know, kid...now, don't get the wrong idea. What she did was awful, but it wasn't the best idea to still agree to her challenge. Slug Hill was out of bounds, like Flip said. As much as I hate having to say this, you broke a rule.

Maya: But Violet breaks rules all the time!

Y/N clenches his teeth at Maya's outburst. She was getting more upset again, and the last thing he wanted was for her to think he was putting blame on her for it.

Y/N: And it isn't right. She should've been in trouble for the things she did. But what I'm trying to say is...you don't beat someone by stooping down to their level. You take the high ground and be better than 'em.

Maya's frown would fade a bit as she listened to Y/N, and glance down once more with a heavy sigh.

Maya: She kept making fun of our team. Saying we wouldn't win, and I just...I just...

Y/N: You thought you were doing the right thing. I understand. But if you don't think things through and just go in blindly, you're more likely to screw up. And face the consequences. Trust me, I know...because I've been guilty of doing so before.

Maya blinks as her eyes widen a bit, staring up at Y/N who now had a look of regret. As for Y/N, he knew now was the time to share his story.

Y/N: Remember when I said I got in trouble before? With someone's dad?

Maya nods her head.

Y/N: That dad was actually mine. Happened long ago, before I came to Poppy Meadow...

The memories of his past came back to him as he continued.

Y/N: Back when I was in a small swarm of other crane flies. Among them were me and my dad who led the swarm, and I was responsible for keeping watch for threats. My dad trusted me to protect the swarm, much like how the Queen trusts me to protect you and Willy.

The memories of that one night flooded into his mind.

Y/N: And one night, I saw a lone wasp who was snooping around. We locked eyes, he laughed menacingly, and then quickly rushed off. I thought he was planning something, was gonna come back with pals or something to launch an attack. So, I gave chase to capture him before it was too late.

Y/N's eyes furrow as he stares at his reflection in the water.

Y/N: But it was all a ruse, and other wasps used the opportunity to sneak in and take our supplies. By the time I got back with the wasp in tow, the whole swarm was up and talking about our stolen food. And some of them got injured, trying to fend off the wasps.

Y/N then clenches his fists.

Y/N: They were upset with me for abandoning my post. For letting other bugs steal from us. For letting our own get hurt. But the worst for me was hearing dad's words to me. How disappointed he was in me for bein' so reckless. Even after I explained, he told me that, 'a smart bug thinks before they act.'

Maya gasps softly as she looks up at Y/N, who's E/C eyes were filled with remorse.

Y/N: After that night, I couldn't look at him in the face. I couldn't look at anyone in the face. Because I felt ashamed of myself. The next day after, when everybody was distracted, I ran away. As far away as possible.

Y/N sighs heavily and rubs his eyes, wiping away the tears that were starting to form.

Y/N: Wasn't till long after I settled into Poppy Meadow that I remembered his words and finally understood what he meant. Not a day went by since that I think about how I could've handled the situation better. If I had just used my head and not act irrationally.

Y/N then heard light buzzing and felt another hand rubbing his eye, his eyes shifting towards Maya who was looking sadly at him. Grateful for her show of comfort, Y/N gently pats her on the head as he recomposes himself.

Y/N: Jeez, here I am, on the verge of turning into a crying mess in front of ya, kid...but now you know my story. And while I can look back and think of the what ifs and so on, I can't go back and change it. I don't have a second chance.

He then rests a hand on her shoulder.

Y/N: But you, you still have a second chance. A second chance to make amends and accept the responsibility for your actions. Don't make the same mistake I made and just run away from it. Show them how mature you really are. Be better than Violet.

Maya smiles brightly before nodding, which prompted Y/N to smile back.

Y/N: Understood?

Maya: Understood! Thank you, Y/N!

Maya then hugs Y/N tightly, and with the tears fully wiped away, he wraps all of his arms around her to return the hug. A short moment later, the hug is broken, and Maya sits down on his lap before turning around to look up at the sky with him. The bright stars revealed themselves once more, with the bright blue moon accompanying them.

For as painful as retelling the story was, Y/N felt something inside him. A sense of relief that he hadn't felt before explaining it all to Maya. And it only now finally hit him; he felt like he helped guide Maya towards a better path.

A path to success.

As the two continue to stargaze, Maya's face becomes determined and full of optimism once more before speaking softly.

Maya: I know what to do.

Y/N glances down at her, arms now loosely wrapped around her to cradle her a bit. He smiles proudly, seeing that optimism of her return in full force.

And this time, nothing would bring it back down.