Chapter 13

With the whistle blown, the racers all rush for their dragonflies, with the only one dragging behind being Bedford. Violet's team make it to their dragonflies first.

Violet: Let's buzz these bugs!

She pulls up on the feelers of her dragonfly, causing immense pain as opposed to getting them to take off. The rest of her team start doing the same, unaware of their mistake. Team Poppy finally arrives to their dragonflies, and Maya quickly instructs her team how to ride the dragonflies properly.

Maya: Don't grab their feelers. Steer by leaning your body. Come on!

She and her dragonfly take off, and the rest of Team Poppy take off on theirs as well. They leave Team Tropolis in the dust, who continue struggling until Violet realizes her mistake.

Violet: Let go of their feelers! Go! Move, move, move!

Her team let go of their dragonflies, allowing them to fly pain-free as they race to catch up with Team Poppy. The mantis watches the teams from the start thanks to a pair of flower binoculars.

Mantis: Team Poppy are taking an early lead! But Team Tropolis isn't giving up without a fight!

As Maya's team continue going full speed ahead, Violet soon catches up and starts taking the lead, all the while taunting them.

Violet: Should've stayed in bed, bugs!

Using her dragonfly, she nearly rams Spinder and Bedford and sends them off into a different direction with a sharp turn. This abrupt change launches a screaming Bedford into the air before he starts falling down to the ground.

Maya: Spinder, save him! You can do it!

Spinder desperately shoots her web at him but becomes alarmed when she sees a frog underneath the water. Quickly she shoots another web, this time grabbing him just before the frog could eat him. Bedford is relieved as he smiles with his mouth open.

Bedford: Spinder, you saved me.

Spinder: I, did it? I did it!

Maya: Wooo! Go, Spinder!

Spinder hoists Bedford back onto their dragonfly safely, with him once more thanking her before sharing a quick hug. Team Poppy continues on ahead, catching up with Team Tropolis as the two teams reach Mudsucker Muddle. Violet and her gang are the first to land as they run towards a stretch of road covered in thick, deep mud.

Mantis: And as they come up to Mudsucker Muddle, it's Team Tropolis, a bee's knee in front!

As Violet's team wades through the mud portion of the race, Maya's team finally land and hurt to catch up with them. Maya gasps as she sees them already finish crossing the mud, as the rest of her team look down at the mud pit below. Craig recoils in disgust.

Craig: Ugh! So dirty. I can't, Maya. I can't!

Maya acts fast, calling for the others to pick up Craig. He fidgets around in fear as they carry him above the mud, wading through it for him. As they try to cross the rock wall blocking their path, Spinder trips forward and the rest of the team lose grip of Craig. The others gasp as they look at the mud, Craig now submerged in it.

Arnie: That's not good.

Craig emerges from it, sputtering and spitting out mud as he looks over himself.

Craig: I'm dirty and muddy and... I love it!

He laughs happily and eagerly drops back into the mud, making mud angels with his limbs as the others just watch on in shock. He suddenly gets back up and smears some mud lines across his face, his face no longer holding fear, but instead determination.