happy birthday jennie

lisa

there's an uncomfortable feeling on the pit of my stomach, almost making me want to throw up. i don't feel good about this.

why am i here again?

right. because it's jennie's birthday.

and i don't know what excuse i will provide jisoo and rosie if i will not come with them. it's rosie who planned all these. we literally just arrived from our concert in hongkong. we already sang jennie a happy birthday a thousand times while we're in there with blinks. the staff prepared her a cake. and i was even the one who recorded everything with jennie's phone.

but rosie insisted we gave jennie a proper surprise since it's now officially jennie's birthday in south korea. since we have different vans, it's easier for us to plan the surprise. we let jennie leave first then we asked our managers for permission, informing them about what we have in mind. and that's how we ended up here.

outside jennie's condo unit. with rosie holding the cake, jisoo with the confetti and on my hand are the balloons.

"shh. jisoo your keychain is making noises." rosie scolded in a hushed voice. jisoo look down on her bag where the said keychain is 'making noise' before returning her gaze at rosie.

"rosie we're like literally 3 rooms away from jennie's unit."

"still!" rosie pushed before turning away from us. jisoo and i look at each other. i gave her a shrug of my shoulders as an answer to her questioning gaze.

before i know it, rosie's already pushing the doorbell button outside jennie's flat. it took her a couple of minutes to answer the door.

"surprise!" rosie greeted in a cheerful voice as soon as the birthday girl appeared infront of us. jennie's face instantly morph into surprise with our presence.

"happy birthday jendeuk!" jisoo followed then pop the confetti, making jennie jolt at the sound.

"w-what—" jennie started but then close her mouth and gave us a smile instead. my eyebrows crease a little when i notice that something's wrong.

maybe it's the years of knowing her or the amount of time i stare and memorize the way her smile reaches her eyes whenever she's genuinely happy but i just know that her smile right at this moment is a little forced.

"thank you. seriously you shouldn't have bothered with all these. you guys literally sang me happy birthday a lot it made me sick." jennie told us with a laugh after closing her door.

"that doesn't count wifey because today's your actual birthday." rosie reasoned out as she carefully opened the box to reveal the customized cake we ordered last minute. it was in different pastel colors but the highlight was the blue roses on top. we know how the blue roses are jennie and her mom's own tradition every year for her birthday so i thought it would be great to give her something meaningful like that.

i watch jennie's eyes twinkle when she caught sight of the cake. without noticing, my lips instantly curved upwards when i saw a glimpse of a real smile on jennie's face.

"this was lisa's idea by the way. the design i mean." rosie explained when she noticed the glint on jennie's eyes.

my brown orbs met feline ones. i gave her a small smile, her own lips curving into that kind of smile that words are not needed.

"alright time to make a wish!" rosie exclaimed after lighting up the candles.

"i think it's now the right time to sing her a happy birthday, right?" jisoo chimed in. jennie playfully rolled her eyes.