happy birthday lisa

jennie

"happy birthday lisa~" the crowd started singing. with a smile, i start to sing along with them too.

i walk over to the side and met my manager's eyes, quickly gesturing for my phone. she hand it to me in an instant since she's already prepared for moments like this. i unlocked my phone and start recording lisa as she watch our blinks and our members greet her a happy birthday.

my lips stretch into a genuine smile when i saw how lisa lovingly gazes at the crowd.

she's always been the one spreading positivity on people around her so seeing her being loved so well by thousands and millions of people makes me happy. it's what she deserves. if only i can protect her from anything that can hurt her, i will.

my smile slightly vanished when i remember the night of my birthday.

you're such a fool jennie. how can you protect her when you're the one who hurts her?

i shake my thoughts away and focus on what's more important.

the manila crowd was so insane. filo blinks definitely gave us an unforgettable two nights. backstage, everyone was loud, cheering each other up for successfully finishing another amazing concert.

the cheers swerves towards the birthday girl when she appeared. apparently, the crew and staff prepared a cake for her.

when the little celebration was done, everyone went back to fixing and packing, ready to go home.

"lisa, come here." i heard jisoo said. she has her phone in her hand and i already know she wants to take a selfie with lisa. after they finished, we had a group photo and then lisa asked for solo shots with the cake blinks prepared for her. her wide smile never left since the start of the night. she looks happy.

i link my arm around lisa's as we made our way back to our shared dressing room.

"how are you feeling?" i asked her. she flick her gaze down at me and flash me a grin.

"like i'm floating. that's how happy i am." hearing that made me happy too. i heard lisa chuckling so i look at her.

"you're really not gonna let that one go?" she nod towards the yellow balloon i'm still holding. it has a happy birthday lalisa printed on it. i cheekily smiled.

"it's so cute. do you think i can sneak it to my luggage?"

lisa throw her head back as she laugh.

"i don't think so." my lower lips jut out in disappoinment.

"let's take a video later with this one then." i told her. my manager gesture for me so i let go of lisa's arm.

after changing into my casual clothes, i went out of the changing room. i found lisa sitting on the couch. she's already in her black sweats and an oversized longsleeves. i stop on my tracks at the sight of her.

she looks... attractive.

lisa noticed my presence so she smiled at me. "i just realized something. the top you wore on your solo performance. it was a combination of my favorite colors, yellow and violet." lisa commented before showing me her phone screen where our mirror selfies earlier are displayed.

"do you think it was a coincidence?" i raise my eyebrow at her before settling next to her. i leaned closer to her and reach for her phone so i can take a look at our pictures.

"wait, you wore it on purpose?"

"ofcourse. it's your special day." i answered her casually while staring at our pictures. lisa went silent. after airdropping the photos, i returned lisa's phone.

"you're going straight to thailand, right?" i look up at her and saw her nod her head.

"can i steal you away for an hour then?"

we went back to our hotel. our rooms are just next to each other so i invited lisa to mine. while we wait for our food, we watch whatever show we found on the tv.

"sorry. i would've treat you in a nicer place but our schedules are tight." i told lisa while playing with her fingers. my head is leaning against her shoulder.

"you owe me one and i'll collect when we go to las vegas." i rolled my eyes while a smile is playing on my lips.

"sure whatever you like."

my phone pinged for a message notification. it was followed by another two but i ignored it.

"you should check that out. he might be worried."

my whole body froze at what lisa said. it's been two months and this is the first time lisa mentioned anything about him.

her tone is light and casual. although that night didn't affect our friendship, i know lisa's still hurt. it shows with the way she's keeping her distance from me at times.

my eyes shut tight when i was reminded of how hurt she was. the pain in her eyes and voice is like a stab on my heart.

"we should talk." i murmured to lisa.

"it's getting late unnie. we should get some rest before our flights."

she was dodging that topic obviously. i felt her pulling away but i tightened my hand on hers.

"what's your birthday wish, lisayah?"

lisa visibly stilled at my question. i waited but lisa answered me with a laugh.

"you'll think it's ridiculous." i move away from her shoulder so i can look into her eyes.

"tell me." lisa stares at my eyes, never blinking.

"that you'll always be happy, jennie."

a silent gasp escape my lips, my heart leaping wildly inside my chest.

"crazy, right? it's my birthday but that's really what i wish for everytime." lisa gave me a weak smile.

"i am happy."

lisa bites her lower lip before she averts her eyes from me but not before i saw a glimpse of pain.

"because of you." lisa returned her gaze at me. there's confusion swimming in her doe eyes as she try to read my thoughts.

"t-there's no him anymore lisa. since that night." lisa's expression fell.

"jennie... if you did it becau—" i quickly shakes my head to interrupt what lisa's about to say.

"it was unfair of me. you're right. not just for you but also for him. it's unfair that i was using him to get over my fear." i fiddle with lisa's fingers as i gather my thoughts.

"and i know you're still hurt of what i did. but lisa..." i lift my eyes and met her beautiful orbs.

"i will wait. until it doesn't hurt that much anymore. i will wait until you're ready to accept my heart." i can feel my eyes watering. surprise flashed in lisa's face.

"jen—"

i lift my upper body and close the gap between our lips, successfully cutting lisa's words. it was just a peck and when i move back, i found lisa's eyes tightly closed.

"happy birthday, lisa." i murmured against her lips.

(a/n: i originally planned to make this an angst but since jenlisa fed us well, my mood changed haha)