Chapter 13: Broken

Maya is absolutely wasted

She returned a while ago and it took her five minutes to get the key in the keyhole. In the end, I opened the door anyway.

When I told her I'd help her get to the room, she told me to fuck off.

This is not like at Ronnie's a while back. This is something else. And I don't know what.

I was startled when the door to her room opened and she ran out. She turned straight to the bathroom and I heard her start vomiting.

Looks like Maya can't hold her drink.

I got up from the couch and followed her, wearing only sweatpants. I turned on the light in the bathroom, since she didn't have time for it while she was running, and walked over to her.

I dropped to the floor and grabbed her hair in one hand as it was in her face and put my other hand on her back, massaging her slowly.

"I told you to fuck off. Get out." She said with her head in the toilet bowl so I didn't really listen to her.

"You are in no condition to throw orders around. Just get it out of your system so you can go back to sleep." I didn't mean it literally, but Maya obviously took it as an order and vomited.

I'm not too excited about having to watch her while she throws up. I don't like it with anyone and I'm definitely not starting with her.

When most of it was out, she pulled away from the toilet and I let go of her hair. She moved to the wall and leaned against it.

Only now I had the opportunity to look into her face. She looks devastated. Not only physically, but also mentally.

I should leave. She told me to.

Fuck it.

I moved to the wall next to her. "What happened?" When did I become a therapist?

Maybe she got drunk because of Julie. We ran into the two of them when we were going in about four days ago. We haven't seen Julie since then, and she looked pretty upset when she left.

Maya didn't say a word about it and she was unbearable for the last few days, that is when she was home. But she hasn't come drunk once in the last few days, only today.

"It doesn't matter." She exhaled heavily and leaned her head against the wall.

"Obviously it does, or you wouldn't be drinking."

"I lost two people this week." Her voice broke.

"Two?"

"Julie doesn't answer me and Ray and I are done." She looked ahead and shrugged her shoulders. "And it's my fault."

I should tell her that everything will be fine, because that's what you're supposed to say to people who are drunk beyond recognition. But instead I asked something else. "Who is Ray?"