Chapter 21: Dress

"I never thought I'd say this, but

"I never thought I'd say this, but....for the love of God, speak!" I finally said after several hours of silence between me and Acker.

We sat in the kitchen and ate, but he didn't look at me since I got up. For some reason, it's pissing me off.

"Sometimes it's impossible to keep your mouth shut, and I've always taken that as punishment from God. But when you're quiet, it's even worse. Yell at me for sneaking out of the apartment before you woke up. That I didn't let you know where I was but just say something."

If there is going to be silence for a little longer I will stick the cutlery, that I have in my hand, in his face just for fun. Maybe then he would finally speak.

"What do you want me to say?" He continued to eat without looking at me. "You want to put yourself in a situation where you're not safe, suit yourself. I thought you had more sense, but apparently I was wrong." He took another bite of pasta in his mouth.

"Nothing happened to me," I muttered under my breath.

"If something happened, it would be too late. Why do you want me to talk when you don't listen to what I say anyway? Or answer my questions?"

"You didn't ask me anything." Really Maya? How did you think this conversation would go now?

"Where have you been all day?" He put the cutlery on the table and finally looked at me. "That's a question." I didn't answer him, I just looked at him silently. "That's what I thought." He snorted.

I won't talk to him about Christian. It would hurt and I know Acker would start to look at me differently. With pity in his eyes that would get on my nerves every second of my life.

It's enough for me that Julie looks at me like that at this time. I don't need him to do the same.

"You expect me to just accept it and move on? What if something happened to you? Do you know who would be to blame?" Him. "Theo wouldn't forget it. He'd never forgive me."

I feel bad.

Why do I feel bad?

Maybe because you're a bad person.

Oh, thank you, my consciousness. I appreciate it.

"I'm glad you're okay, but that doesn't change the fact that something could have happened."

I had no answer to that. None that would calm him down.

I could tell him the whole story, maybe he would understand, maybe not. But in the process, I would destroy myself. No, thanks.

"At least you could say what was so important that you left. But that's not going to happen, is it? Because you're too tough to talk about the things that matter."

Okay, I feel like he's starting to attack me. I don't like it.

"When we were young, you were always the more responsible one, even for your age. You followed all the rules and obeyed all the orders. But now it's like if someone tells you not to do something, you do it on purpose. Does it give you some kind of satisfaction? Do you enjoy going against everyone and proving you're right? Because I really don't get it, Maya. I really fucking don't." He shook his head, his face full of disappointment.