Chapter 27: One little lie

I'm so confused that if you put a rubber duck in front of me, I wouldn't be able to tell what it is

I don't know what rattled me more. Acker's words and I quote: "If what happens in San José stays in San José,". Or a woman who definitely has something to do with the mafia from what she was saying.

Yeah, it was Acker's words for sure.

What was I thinking? I almost kissed him! Something is wrong with me. I shouldn't be attracted to him like this.

I'm always in control of my emotions. So why not a few minutes ago? Why not when it comes to Acker?

"Ackers and their rule that no one touches your family. You're getting annoying with it." I heard her coming out of the bathroom, Acker hot on her heels.

He didn't look very enthusiastic.

"So Maya." She smiled at me and walked over to the table where she jumped up and sat down.

"Don't start Nyx." Acker interrupted her. "Don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth." He pointed his finger at me.

"Oh Sebbie, you insult me." She clutched her chest.

"Look, I don't know what's going on between you two." I pointed between them. "But whatever it is, I want no part in it." I went back to the travel bag.

"Oh, she's too smart for you, Sebbie." She laughed.

"Jesus." Acker grabbed his head and hid his face. It almost looked like he was ashamed.

"So what are you doing in this hole by the way?" She took a piece of pizza.

"I have to make a call." He ignored her and went to the door. "And Nyx, shut your mouth, she already knows more than she should. We don't need to put her in more danger than she is."

"Asshole," I whispered as he closed the door behind him, but probably not enough as Nyx laughed.

"Now seriously, what are you doing with him?" She pointed behind her.

"My father had a wedding." I looked at her and only now did I take a good look at her. Shorter brown hair, dark eyes, sharp cheekbones, and small dimples on her cheeks when she smiled. Why do I feel like she's exactly Acker's type?

"Uuh." She took a bite of the pizza. "How did that go?"

"I kicked him in the balls." I shrugged my shoulders.

Nyx burst out laughing. "I did not expect that." She wiped away imaginary tears. "I knew I liked you."

"Thank you?" I frowned with a small smile.

"You're welcome." She winked at me, which startled me slightly and I'm pretty sure she noticed. Is she flirting with me or am I just imagining it? "And what kind of trouble did you get yourself into since he's following you like a lost puppy." She nodded her head towards the door.