Chapter 38: Suspicion

I sneaked out of Maya's room sometime at night

I sneaked out of Maya's room sometime at night. I couldn't sleep even though Maya was lying comfortably on my chest.

I was careful not to wake her up, but it wasn't difficult as she has a deep sleep.

I sat down on the couch in the living room with my cell phone in my hand and a number on the screen. I looked up at the time and noticed it was four in the morning.

I picked a great time for this.

I exhaled heavily and dialed the number. I put my phone to my ear and listened to it ring.

After a while, I heard a pick-up tone. "It's seven o'clock in the morning." I smiled when I heard his voice.

"Four here." I laughed. "Nice to hear you too Killian. Did I wake you up?"

"Oh come on." He snorted. "Lucy got up an hour ago." I could hear other voices in the background, but I wasn't sure what they were saying. "Yes, it's Sebastian, Lucy."

"Tell her I miss her." I smiled.

"She misses you too. She's also asking when you'll be back. Which I'd be interested in too. Theo said you're not picking up on him. Everything okay?" I could hear the worry in his voice.

"I'll call him when I have time." I grabbed the back of my head and exhaled. "I'm calling because I want to talk to Lyssa, is she around?"

"Lyssa?" He asked. "Yes, she's here."

"Could you give her the phone?"

"Yeah sure, don't talk to your brother who you haven't seen in months but his girlfriend." He joked, which made me happy since the last year has not been the easiest for him.

"Don't say you miss me."

"You want me to lie?"

"Give the phone to Lyssa," I said with a laugh.

"Nice to hear you too." He laughed and I heard movement in the background.

"Lyssa?"

"Yes?"

"Welcome to the world of the living, how are you?"

"Um, okay?" She hesitated. "Does this conversation have any meaning or..."

"I need a favor."

"That sounds about right, what's going on?"

"You have a laptop with you somewhere, I need you to find someone for me."

I could call Nyx, but it's not certain she won't involve Maya.

"Sure, give me a second." She moved somewhere and I heard her open the door and sit down. "So what's the deal?"

"Eddie's bar in Seattle, a bartender named Mason, I don't know his last name. Can you find out anything about him?"

The reason why I couldn't sleep? I was thinking about what Maya told me. What Mason told her seemed familiar. Like I've heard it before.