Chapter 44: New York

Love

Love.

A strange word for someone who swore to never want to feel it again.

But that's exactly the word to describe the feeling I get in my heart when I look at Acker.

Okay, I'll stop there. That's way too sweet for me.

I love him and that's it. That's the important thing.

"Oh wow." Julie breathed heavily when I told her everything. "I will never take a vacation again."

"Stop." I laughed and took a sip from the glass in front of me.

"I mean it. You crashed, you got kidnapped, your brother got shot, Mason is dead and Sebastian told you he loved you and you said it back." She summed up our half-hour conversation in a few words. "I was home for two days!"

"Shh." I tried to calm her down since we are at Eddie's and there are people around.

"I'll stick to your side." She pointed her finger at me threateningly.

"While I appreciate that, I don't think you thought it through. What would happen to Eddie?"

"All right." She leaned against the chair. "Maybe you are right." She tried not to smile, but I could see what his name was doing to her.

"So how are you two doing?"

"Good." Her cheeks flushed. "Better than good." She laughed. "I know I should be careful, but it's hard. I think about him 24/7. I really think there's something wrong with me."

I smiled at her, but also at Eddie, who was slowly walking towards us and obviously hears Julie.

I could be a good friend and tell her he's behind her, but I want to see her face when she realizes he's behind her.

So I let her talk.

"I get stupid butterflies in my stomach just when he looks at me. I feel like a high school girl." She rested her face in her hands. "It's childish, I know, but I can't help it. You'd know what I'm talking about if you woke up next to him in the morning with the sun shining on his face and his hair tousled. He's so adorable and I feel like the biggest fool, as I watch him. Can you imagine what he'd see if he woke up? I'm staring at him like he is...what do I know. The Northern lights?"

At that moment, I couldn't take it anymore. I started laughing at the top of my lungs and didn't really care who could see and hear me.

"It's not funny, Maya." I could hear the desperation in her voice.

"I'd say it's adorable." I saw Julie freeze at Eddie's voice.

"Shit." She whispered, her cheeks turning even redder.

"So what were you saying about the Northern lights?" He put his hands on her shoulders, and it was obvious that Julie wanted to crawl under the table to disappear.