8

"I think I know what the problem is", Taylor said, maddingly composed while my breath came in ragged and short. Her boot was on my sweaty chest, pinning me to the floor while I struggled and flayed to get up.

"And what's that", I spat, tossing my braid out of my face.

I spotted Max in the corner, moving like lighting against an opponent, tapping her in places that would've been kill shots if it wasn't training.

Mid Morning sun poured into the gym around us. A few weeks had passed since my first date with Tyler, and we were no closer to taking him down then we were when I first landed in Seattle. Weeks of sniffing around Red Wolfe headquarters without alerting suspicion. Of carefully baiting Tyler on our weekly date, trying to get him to make a move. Trying to get him to expose his true character.

But nothing. Nothing after all that time. On each date, he was a perfectly, annoying, gentleman.

At the end of each date, he kissed me goodnight and left me wanting to invite him inside his own hotel room.

Tonight was my chance, and Taylor knew it. Red Wolfe announced last week they were ready for their Welcome Gala, which would be held this evening at the same hotel the company's staying at. That's why she insisted on training with me this morning.

She wanted to ensure her knife was sharpened for the killing blow if need be.

Tyler talked about the event with me yesterday night, which consistently was our longest date. Honestly, the nights with him have been getting longer and longer. And I found myself foolishly looking forward to them.

CARMA agents exercised and trained all around us while Taylor repeatedly knocked me on my ass. My black tank top was drenched, sweat slid down the legs of my cargo pants, and all of the daggers normally seethed at my belt were discarded around me thanks to Taylor's maneuvers.

It was beyond mortifying.

"Darling, do you have a crush on your target?" Taylor gave me a mocking smile. "Have all of those exquisite dinners and expensive wines gone to your head?"

She didn't bother to keep her voice low, and several agents fumbled in their movements, snickering.

Including Max.

Rage, burning, animalistic rage boiled inside of me. Flamed and fueled by every humiliation Taylor forced me to endure since I returned. My mentor, who took my crown and threw it back into the ring. Who forced me to work alongside Max.

A razor sharp smile slashed my features, "Yes, that's it. I'm throwing away this case, at a chance to have your job, so Tyler will fuck me."

Taylor opened her mouth to retort, but I stuck first.

With both hands on her damn boat, I pulled, rallying my strength to drive her off balance. It worked, barley. Taylor swayed, but remained upright, trying to twist out of my grip.

I crunched on the ground, driving both my legs toward the remaining one Taylor was using for balance. She hit the ground with a grunt, quickly rolling to get me back in her grasp.

I danced to my feet, kicking a dagger back into my hand in the process.

Taylor echoed my movements. We stood facing each other, muscles tensed to strike, blades positioned for damage.

There was a sudden hush around us.

"You can't beat me, Thea. I taught you everything you know", she smirked.

She was right, of course. I let myself become vulnerable to her. Let myself become no better than that blade in her hand.

No, a voice in the back of my head whispered. You can beat her.