27

"Since when are you strong enough to snap a person's neck," Max's question trails me down the long hallway.

I scoff, not pausing in my trek toward the elevator, toward death. "Her second vertebra was weak."

Max catches my wrist, and I turn to face him as I yank it out of his grasp. "I should go with you. What if he's not alone?"

I met his blue eyes, and day in a calm voice, "Then I'll kill anyone else there."

His eyes flare, "You're in the killing calm."

I dip my chin and give him a wry smile, "Yes, and I need to go put on red before my target moves."

"Maybe you could use a little wisdom in your current state, Killer", he smirks but it doesn't reach his eyes.

I turned back down the hall, striding past the control room and some agents on the night watch, "Part of the deal from the beginning was that I'd get to impart my own wisdom on the final sentencing."

"Why are you so angry about this one? Why did you slip into the calm?", Max catches up to me, whispering the questions frantically in my ear so the agents on watch don't hear.

Fuck that. Fuck being collected and cool and aloof.

"Why?", I yell, startling Max and the nearest agents. "Why am I angry?"

Max meets my rage, his own face contorting with emotion, "Yea, why Thea? What has you so angry about this case?"

I clench my jaw so hard it hurts, and then words are erupting out of me. "Because I was made to be a fool. Because I trusted this man and tried again and again to prove it wasn't him, just to be shown I knew nothing about what he was."

I let out an angry grimace and looked around the room. Several agents are suddenly very interested in their computers and night tasks.

Max steps closer to me, "What else? Something is eating at you. Tell me."

I look up at him, "I killed Sloane because of him." Because I let myself turn a blind eye toward his nature, toward everything. I thought he was falling for me, when I was stupidly following the path he laid for me. I thought he was my friend.

Max nods, an emotion I can't place flashing in his eyes, "Ok. Go get him."

I nod, shoulders slumped, but resigned to put a finish to this feeling. This pit of anger swirling inside my stomach.

Thirty minutes later, dressed in a red mini dress and thigh high boots, with a knife tucked into one, I step out of the car and stare up at Tyler's hotel. Strange to think hours ago I was scaling the side of the brick building with Max.

I sigh. Max owes me answers, and he promised I'd get them tonight as he helped me select the red dress for this evening.

It slightly constricts my movement if I need to run, but I doubt I'll be chasing down Tyler.

I sigh heavily again, thinking of the person I thought was my friend, as I left my phone and dial his number.

He answers on the first ring, "Thea."

"Hi, Tyler", I reply, for some traitorous reason my eyes start to sting.

"DId you listen to my message?", he asks frantically.

"No, actually. I saw the call and wanted to come see you, so I'm outside", I force lightness into my tone but it's barely there.

"I'll tell the front desk to let you in. I really need to talk to you." He sounds like he's been crying.