'You're the locksmith'

A/N: This one was inspired by the song "Locksmith" by Sadie Jean. Go check it out. It's a good song.

The * means that I'm referencing the song.

Hope you enjoy this one! Let me know if you feel like there is a song that you would like to see inspire a short story :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ariana was awakened by a loud sound of pots and pans being dropped on the floor. She turned to see an empty space next to her and smiled knowing full well that a surprise was being prepared for her.

It was rare that she had breakfast prepared for her but she was appreciative of the times she did. She decided to get up and get ready for the day ahead.

It took a bit of time before Ariana thought she was presentable enough to step out of the bathroom. At this point, she could smell the toast and fresh coffee.

But she felt a ping in her heart knowing full well the reality of things as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Hey babe." She heard Pete say to her.

She attempted a smile and waved, not having the actual strength in her voice to say anything back.

Her actions betrayed her and she saw Pete frown.

"I'm sorry, I just woke up really tired. I wish I could just go back to bed. But I really appreciate you going out of your way to cook this wonderful breakfast for me." Ariana quickly explained, trying to justify her frown.

"That's what you said last time too. I know I'm not the best of cook but I try Ariana." He said, throwing the apron on the counter.

Ariana was tired of constantly getting in fights with Pete.

If he only knew why she was truly upset.

She couldn't help but see Y/N behind the counter with her goofy grin as she presented pancakes to Ariana while the kitchen behind her was literally a mess and they spent more time cleaning it than actually eating.

"Well, whatever. I'm going to shower." Pete said at Ariana's silence.

Ariana didn't put up a fight. She was struggling today and maybe Pete not being around was better for her.

___________

On the other end of town, Y/N was getting ready to leave her apartment and head for her quick coffee pick-up before making her way to the studio.

Her place was a mess; a reflection of her current life right now. Ever since the breakup with Ariana, she had not been good. Everything had just felt meaningless.

She had been busy with deadlines and projects for other artists and Ariana had been touring and doing a lot of promo work for her beauty line. Guess it came as no surprise when both of them ended up in the same room and realized they had not seen each other in over a month.

She shook the idea of Ariana out of her head and locked the door behind her before heading to her car.

"I don't know Y/N. Think we have a lot going on at the moment to be able to focus on one another. Maybe we should reconsider this. What do you think?" She could still hear Ariana's words echo throughout her car as she dropped her off at her place; the last time she saw her about a year ago.

Y/N snapped out of that painful memory and hit her steering wheel in frustration. She should have just put up a fight instead of sitting there in silence and agreeing with her.