Missing Two Hours

Keith had been missing for two hours when everyone assembled in the dining area again.

'How could someone have gotten in here?' demanded Alfor. Four guards stood in front of him.

'Sir, the whole Castle was secured as you requested,' said one of the guards bravely. 'No-one could have gotten in.'

'Yet someone did,' Alfor hissed.

'It's just not possible,' insisted the guard. 'The only people who entered the Castle before the ceremony were those who came with Princess Romelle, and no-one has left.'

'Where in the Castle could he be then?' Shiro demanded.

Romelle came forward. 'Uncle, where's Allura?'

Alfor looked around frantic. 'She's been taken as well. I want a list of all ships that has come and gone in the last 24 hours...'

The door flew open with a bang and Allura came tumbling into the room with a scream. They turned to find a bloody and bruised Keith standing in the doorway, and he was pissed off.

'You still think I'm weak?' he asked Allura. He threw the metal pipe on the ground at her feet.

She pushed herself up and sneered at him. 'Yes, those abominations inside you make you weak. You're a warrior, someone who doesn't let anyone tell them what to do.'

'You stupid girl.' Keith advanced on her and she scrambled away from him. 'I could rip you limb from limb on my worst day.'

'What's the meaning of this?' Alfor demanded. He ran forward and put himself between Keith and Allura.

'Allura tried to kill my kits,' Keith said.

'You're better off without them,' she spat. 'They will be as weak and inferior as Lance...'

Alfor turned and grabbed Allura by the arm and yanked her to her feet. 'You foolish child. You're blinded by your jealousy. Guards, take her to her room and lock the door. She is not to leave for any reason.'

'Father,' Allura gasped.

'The punishment for what you have done is banishment,' said Alfor. His voice tight as he spoke. 'You will be removed from New Altea in the morning and taken to a humanoid planet, and you will not be allowed to return.'

'No,' said Keith. 'We won't be returning here...'

'Regardless,' interrupted Alfor, 'the punishment for treason to the crown is banishment. Please don't make this harder than it already is. You and your mate are important to the Altean society as a whole. As leader of the Blade, I'm sure you understand the important of being able to make difficult decisions.'

Alfor held Keith gaze a moment. Keith nodded.

It wasn't until Allura was moved from the room that Keith collapsed to his knees. Lance ran to him and pulled him to his chest.

'Enya?' asked Keith, softly.

'She has a cut on her forehead, but otherwise fine,' Lance assured him. He lifted the front of Keith's t-shirt and saw the bruises around his stomach, and ran his hand over the baby bump.

'They're alive,' said Keith. 'I did my best to protect them.'

'I know you did, baby,' Lance said.

'Can we go home now?'

'Yes, we can go,' Lance said.

'Take him to the Castle of Lions,' said Romelle. 'I will load your ship. We can be on our way in half an hour.'

'Jaya, can you show grandad and grandpa where our room is and help collect all our things,' Lance said.

'Yes, papa,' he said.