Midwife

The next morning, Maria arrived with a bag of clothes for the boys, and Enya in her arms.

Keith was still asleep, so Lance took the kit from his mother and gave her a cuddle. She wrapped her tail tightly around his wrist and clung to him.

'It's okay little girl,' he said, softly.

'Papa's taking Jaya to school and will be here with Molly in a soon,' said Maria. 'All the kids have been missing you terribly.'

'Hopefully, we can come home today,' said Lance. 'Michaels wants to give us one last check-up first.'

'Has Keith woken at all?' asked Maria.

Lance shook his head. 'He barely moved all night. I had to check him a couple of times to assure myself he was still breathing. It was scary.'

From the look on her face, Lance knew his mother had gone through her own scary moments over those four days.

'Thank you for looking after him,' said Lance. 'I know it wouldn't have been easy.'

'I just can't wait to have you both home again,' she said.

When Jorge and Molly arrived, Lance gave her a cuddle and he spoke to his parents a little longer. Maria tried to take Enya, but she refused to let go of Lance, and in the end had to leave her with him.

Even though Keith was lethargic, Michaels gave them the all clear to go home after lunch. They dressed and were getting ready to leave when Michaels came back with a woman.

'Keith, Lance, this is Joanna Riggs, the midwife I want to bring in to help with the birth,' Michaels said.

'Hi, call me Jo,' she said, extending her hand out towards Lance.

Keith moved behind Lance growling.

Lance turned to him frowning. 'Baby, what's wrong?'

Keith's ears flattened, and tears filled his eyes.

'I don't know,' he said.

Lance wrapped his arms around Keith and held him tight.

'She's just here to make sure you and the kits are safe, okay. I'll be with you the whole time,' Lance murmured.

Keith rested his forehead on Lance's shoulder and shifted his hips. 'I hurt, I just want to go and get these trousers off.'

'I can just imagines,' said Lance, grimacing. 'But, ah, I'd be happy to help you take them off.'

Keith could practically hear the smirk in Lance's voice.

'I'm not opposed to the idea,' Keith said.

'First,' said Lance turning to the bed, 'we have to find a certain someone.'

There was a giggle from under the blankets that surprised Jo.

'Now, where is she?' asked Lance, making a show of trying to find Enya. The kit giggled again and wiggled further under the blanket.

Lance threw the blankets back. 'There she is.' He scooped her up into his arms.

'Oh,' said Jo, moving closer. 'Isn't she gorgeous. Alex, is this the kit you were telling me about?'

Michaels nodded.

Lance raised an eyebrow and Michaels blushed. He cleared his throat. 'Perhaps we should get started.'

'Come on, baby, lay on the bed,' said Lance. 'You can cuddle Enya while Jo checks you over.' Keith remained where he was. 'Baby, this isn't like you, what's going on?'