Choices

Molly and Enya started crying again and Lance went over to them. He unbuckled Molly and picked her up, and when he unbuckled Enya, she reached out towards Keith. Lance scooped her up and gave her to him and she clung to him.

Lance turned to Jaya and ran his fingers through is his hair. 'Are you okay?' Jaya nodded. 'Thank you for helping he before with the girls, that was very brave.' He bent down and kissed Jaya's temple and gave him a hug.

Keith turned in his seat. 'We can't tell anyone what the triplets did. We need to keep it under wraps for now if we can.'

Michaels and Jo nodded and stared at him wide-eyed.

Sadness clouded Keith's features. 'Um...I'm sorry you had to see that,' he murmured. 'I know it's a lot to ask, but if you could keep it to yourselves, I would appreciate it.'

Romelle suddenly appeared on the screen. 'Keith, is everyone okay?'

He turned back around in his seat. 'Yes, we're not hurt.'

'Oh, you scared me when you didn't show up earlier. The landing bay doors are open.'

'On our way.'

The screen went blank.

Keith placed Enya in his lap, but before they could move, Michaels unbuckled and went over to him.

'Are you okay after what happened?' he asked.

Keith looked at him puzzled.

'I ask because I don't understand what sort of strain magic places on you. To gather that much energy together must affect you in some way.'

'Aren't you scared of me?' asked Keith, genuinely confused at his concern.

Michaels face softened. 'No, I'm not scared of you. The whole being in a battle in space with massive ships scared the shit out of me, but not what you did. I'm more concerned about how it affected you.'

'Just...tired more than anything,' Keith said.

'Make sure you come to me if you notice anything out of the ordinary,' Michael said.

Keith nodded.

When Michaels returned to his seat, Lance gave him a grateful look.

Jo sat in silence as Keith piloted the ship into the hanger and shut it down. When Keith stood she went over to him.

'I'm not scared of you either,' she said. 'I'm just trying to process what happened, and the fact we came out of that alive. It was a hell of an introduction to space travel.' She looked at Enya in his arms and reached out and rubbed her ear. She smiled when Enya pushed her head harder into her hand. 'I think both Alex and I have broken one rule of becoming medical professionals, and that is, don't get attached to your patients. For myself, I have fallen in love with this family, and I'd like to hope we can be friends.'

'Pretty sure we already are,' Keith said.

'Good,' said Michaels. 'Then you better start calling me Alex.'

They were met at the bottom of the ramp the three paladins, Romelle and Naroc, and were instantly relieved of the triplets which were passed around between them all. They were shown to their rooms.

Keith and Lance were glad when they were finally left alone. They stood in front of the bassinets and gazed down at the three tiny, innocent faces staring back at them.

'I guess it shouldn't surprise us that they have magic,' Lance said.

'I didn't expect them to use it like that at this age,' Keith replied.