Maxine Mayfield woke up from her short sleep to a dog barking, surprising herself that it was not a nightmare of the night her world began to crash down. The day her stepbrother Billy saved her friend Eleven and got killed in the process by a fleshy version of the Mind Flayer. She lived the nightmare in her head every night, being tortured by the same sights.

Lately she's been having several headaches and nosebleeds, and she's felt like it's gotten worse. But she pushed down the feeling, knowing that Billy would want to be strong, even if he was a dick to her. She pushed her friends away, not wanting to see another one of them die if the chance came, but there hasn't been a disturbance in Hawkins yet.

Max got up from her bed that she was asleep on and walked out of her room into the hallway of her trailer. Her and her mom had moved to the trailer park after her stepfather left due to Billy's death. They lost money quickly and couldn't afford their house so they moved to a smaller place.

Her mom had spiraled since, drinking alcohol and passed out on the couch whenever she came home. They barely had enough to eat as it was and the school food was terrible, but it was something. 

She walked down the hall into their mess of a living room, beer cans everywhere along with a dirty plate. Her mother, redheaded as well with freckles dominating her face was deep asleep on the couch. Max picked up a few beer cans and hurried her pace hearing the dog continue to bark.

The dog belonged to a neighbor that never seemed to feed the poor thing, so Max made it a habit to feed the poor thing some food she had left in her refrigerator, and she had forgot to feed him today, as today was another nosebleed day, and she threw the beer can in the trash and opened the refrigerator. Cool air emitted from it as the lamp inside turned on, and she saw little cubes of cheese on a blue plate.

"Yeah, you'll do," she says as she grabs the plate, closing the refrigerator door. She walked out of the kitchen and walked to the front door, opening it and walking outside to the left of her trailer until she approached a gate, and behind it was a small Shih Tzu whining as she approached and barking. 

"I'm here, I'm here," Max apologized as she picked up a cheese cube and fed it to the dog, who ate it happily, already begging for the second one as it chewed. Max slightly laughed. "Hold on, hold on," she said as she fed it another cheese cube. 

She suddenly heard a car door close, and she looked over her shoulder to see a familiar black curly haired girl walking to the door of the blue trailer directly across from hers, but what surprised her was that the strawberry blonde that was being dragged by her inside was none other than Christopher Cunningham.

What's Munson doing with Cunningham?  Max thought as the dog barked, reminding her what she was out there for, and she fed the dog another cheese cube, looking over her shoulder to just see both of them gone. She sighed and fed the dog the rest of the cheese and then wiped her hands off on her pants as she walked back to her trailer with the plate in hand. 

She entered her trailer to fall asleep again, to try and sleep without any nightmares, but she jsut laid there for a while, and confusingly stared at the blinking lights that were showing through her window, but she just ignored it and laid there.

She fell asleep just to be woken by police sirens.