12

Lucas Sinclair woke up with a pounding headache and a nauseating feeling swirling around in his abdomen. He groaned as he sat up in his makeshift bed, which was a pillow on the floor of the kitchen in the restaurant they were in, a closed restaurant named 'Benny's'. A empty beer bottle lay before him as he slowly got himself up to stand as Oliver walked into the room, which was just the kitchen.

"Our winner finally wakes up!" he says, grinning as he spreads his arm out in welcome. He as in his basketball jersey and some sweatpants. "We just figured out how to turn on the TV, want to join us?"

Lucas smiled and was about to speak until he gagged, feeling warm saliva build up in his throat, and he knew he was about to throw up.

"Bathroom's right here," Oliver said, moving out of the way as he pointed to a hallway with a sign that designated where the men's and women's bathrooms were. Lucas rushed to the male one and before he knew it, he was heaving of what he ate last night in the toilet that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. 

"Yeah, that's the first hangover for you," Oliver chuckled as his voice echoed through the bathroom. "When you're done, come out and join us, we're finding a channel to watch," he said as his voice faded away as he walked out.

Lucas wiped his mouth with the sleeve of his green letterman jacket as he got up and walked out of the bathroom into the main area of the restaurant, missing chairs and tables, but the guys were spread all around the dining room with cheerleaders in their arms. 

Last night, they had come here with packs of beers and snacks, and they partied, celebrating the win for the championship and they hung out all night long and passed out around two o'clock in the morning, and now it was 10 A.M. Lucas's teammate Andy had a remote and was flipping through the many channels on the screen as the other jocks talked to the cheerleaders. 

Oliver sat next to Justina and Lucas sat on the floor by himself as he watched Andy flip through the channels until he landed on the breaking news. "Ooo let's see what shit they have going on today," Andy says as the jocks and cheerleaders laugh.

The breaking news logo cut to a scene where a black woman with curly dark hair that ended at her shoulders, wearing a black suit was holding a microphone as she stood a few feet away from a scene where behind her some policemen were talking to an older man with grey hair and a cigarette in his hand, and the newspeople were standing in front of a blue trailer.

"Latest news on the update for the search for the perpetrator that had hurt Christopher Cunningham, who had recently run after Mr. Cunningham, one of the wealthiest men in Hawkins claimed that she had assaulted his son, Christopher Cunningham. There were no witnesses to the scene and there are very few details of what happened, although we do know the second person who lived in the trailer besides Wayne Munson was in possession of several illegal drugs, and police are searching. If you see any suspicious activity, please alert the authorities. I'm Martha Stewart, and moving onto you, Jack."

The whole room went silent and everything in Lucas's body went on alert. Munson meant one thing, and Evelyn was the only person that lived there besides Wayne, but she was gone. 

"I bet it was that freak," Patrick says.

A gasp comes from Justina as she covered her mouth in shock. "Would she hurt Chrissy?! Wait of course she would, she's crazy!" she says, being in total shock, and then her expression shifted to anger. "How dare she!"

"Calm down Jus, I'm sure he's okay-" Oliver began to say but Justina cut him off, scrambling away from his arms. She shook her head while standing up.

"He went to that freak's table yesterday to talk to the others about something, so there's a good chance they'll know why that freak hurt Chris, and where she is."

"Wait, wait, wait," Andy began, looking at Justina with confusion. "You want us to go and search for people associated with her to hunt her down or something? And you don't even know if it's Evelyn?"

"It's the only rational explanation because nobody else at the school has the last name Munson," Justina retorted. "Yes, and we're going to do it because I said so. Girls, you're coming with me," Justina looks at her fellow cheerleaders, who look at one another contemplating what to do. 

"I mean, we're just cheerleaders, Jus, what can we do? I barely know how to swing a bat," Piper says as she looks at Adrianna who shrugged. 

Oliver stood up behind Justina. "We'll help you find the freak,"

"We will?" Lucas, Andy, and Patrick said in unison. 

Oliver narrowed his eyes. "Of course, we will, the girls need help and Chris is Justina's boyfriend so of course we're going to help. We all hate the freak, right?"

"Yeah,"

"Yeah,"

"Yeah," Lucas said, everything in his mind going against his words. He was crazily worried about what was going on and how it happened. He was concerned for Evelyn and what was going to happen. Where did she run to, and why? Was she guilty?

"Okay then, the first thing we're going to do is find wherever the hell her friends are at," Justina says, and then gets interrupted when there's a sudden familiar howl of police sirens. Everyone jumped up.

"My car's in the back, go, go, go!" Oliver says as everyone rushes out of the room and through the back door. Lucas shortly follows after them as everyone quickly files into Oliver's black Sedan and they drove off quickly before the sirens could get too close. 

Lucas has a stirring feeling in his gut things were about to go very wrong.