• 10 •

"Old Maid"

After taking her piece of paper, Sayaka headed to the car with the number 3 on it and sat on one of the backseats. After a while a few others, that apparently drew the same number as the girl, including Kuina, also got in the car.

"So, is your visa expiring today too?" A guy sitting next to her that was about Sayaka's age asked the girl.

"No." She quickly responded not wanting to make this conversation any longer.

"Well, then it expires soon, doesn't it?"

"I have 15 days left."

Sayaka's answer clearly shocked the man.

"Why would you risk your life then?"

"What else am I supposed to do? It's so boring at the resort. There's literally nothing cool to do."

The sound of the car engine could be heard and the driver, who was an old man, drove off to the North.
Sayaka leaned her head against the cold window and looked outside at the empty streets and apartment they passed.

"We're here." The driver announced when he saw a big sign with the word 'GAME' written on it.

Everybody got out of the car and entered a small restaurant.

"Please wait until the game commences. There are currently 9 participants. 37 seconds until registration closes." A very familiar, female voice said, after every participant took a phone.

There were also a few other players besides the ones from the Beach.

"Registration has closed. There are a total of 12 participants. The game will now commence. All participants, please sit on one chair each."
The insides of the restaurant looked pretty normal just like any other restaurant. There were exactly six tables for two. Additionally, in front of every chair there were a few cards lying face down on the table.

After every chair was finally occupied the female voice made another announcement.

"Difficulty: Five of Diamonds. Game: Old Maid. Rules: There are two decks of cards and 16 jokers split between all 12 participants, so everyone has ten cards in the beginning. First, put all of your pairs of the same number, as an example a nine of hearts and nine of spades, on the table in the middle of the room. After doing so, take a card from a random player. If you take a card from someone, the same person must take a card from you. The participants who's last card or cards are only jokers will be eliminated and killed by a laser. There's also the possibility of forming groups or pairs but once a group or pair is formed and loses, all players from the group will be eliminated. There is no time limit. Clear condition: Get rid of all of your cards, including jokers."

There was fear in almost everyone's eyes. The players were clearly terrified of the idea of having a joker and dying.

"So it's just like regular Old Maid but with 16 jokers instead of one. " Sayaka stated. "Everyone has 10 cards in the beginning so the best scenario would be, only two people dying which is almost impossible. And the worst scenario would be everyone dying which is more probable. Sounds like fun."

"Game Start. You may now look at your cards."

Sayaka was the first one that looked at her cards without hesitation. She immediately noticed four jokers and a few other cards. After taking the two eights she had, she got up and walked up to the table in the middle of the room. The girl placed the eight of hearts and eight of clubs, face up, on the table.