4

As she stands on the flat form she can't help but feel out of place. She has guns and ammo strapped to her body, which she pulled from her bag. The camo has long sleeves and pants with the tactical vest amongst other necessities of her job. She held her military-issued gun in the holster strapped to her hip. She feels more like an Army man than someone in the Navy compared to her comrades before her.

Dylan had whispered a sarcastic saying to her earning a giggle from her. He kissed her head and walked off to the front of the building.

She manages to compose herself despite seeing the clear vision of her lover in front of her eyes. Containing the proper respect she shakes hands with the admirals waiting patiently for them to speak.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice," the man is darker than the other. He seems much kinder than the other. He gives off the impression he's more understanding and carefree. "We appreciate your insight on the matter Captain. I apologize I hear you go by different names."

Something inside her told her to laugh so she did. Her eyes switch to them for a brief moment before turning back to her husband. "For this occasion, it's Floyd. Overseas doing fieldwork it's Kazansky."

Phoenix beams with excitement as does Rooster. The others slack their jaws at the hearing of the last name. She smiles, saddened at the thought of still not being in his arms.

"Everyone, I'd like to introduce you to your other instructor. Captain Finley "Moonlight" Floyd. Head to your aircraft, and you'll be split into groups first. "Payback, Fanboy, Rooster, you're up first with Moonlight."

Finley clears her throat tucking her braided hair back behind her shoulder. The admirals look at her. "Do I get five minutes of PDA?"

Rooster snorts at that earning an elbow in the ribs from Phoenix. Although, Phoenix smirks squinting at her superior.

Admiral Simpson nods with hesitation. "Five minutes, then get changed. I want you in the air in thirty minutes."

"Thank you, sir."

She leaped forward at the same time he did wrapping her arms around his neck. His hands secure themselves tightly around her waist giving her less room to wiggle her way out if she wanted to. She presses her nose into the crook of his neck. Bob's hands soothingly start rubbing the center of her back.

The awkwardness of the situation urges some of the guys to leave the hangar. Those remaining consist of Phoenix, Rooster, Payback, Fanboy, Coyote, and Hangman. Hangman holds a mischievous grin that everyone ignores.

The couple hugs tightly before pulling away. She tangles her hands in his short hair pulling him into a passionate kiss full of love and lost time. The affection and intimacy increases as they stand. Pulling her closer to him by the waist he deepens the kiss tipping her back. She chuckles against his soft lips.

They pull away once more leaning their heads together with closed eyes. They take in the moment of each other's presence. Her heart swells at the feeling and tears prick the corner of her eyes. She only ever gets emotional when she's with him.

"It's been too long," she croaks.

"You're here now, that's all that matters."

Bradley clears his throat pulling the couple apart. She looks over at him unaware that he was a part of this mission.

"Bradshaw, you son of a bitch!" He takes her by the waist spinning her around. "I didn't know you were here too."

"I texted you."

She raises a pointed finger. "You said you had a mission coming up, you didn't specify where you'd be."

"I could say the same about you. Got word that you were coming back but you didn't say anything."

She looks between her husband and her best friend. They give her the same look. She shrugs giving up trying to act like she knows all.

"Alright, here's the deal. In my defense, I got a call yesterday telling me to get back ASAP. Not that it's an excuse not to at least text, I was put on a plane immediately. From the moment I landed, I was flown here."

Bob hums, "I didn't think you and Dylan were that close anymore."

Finley scoffs licking her lips. "Yeah well, his presence was a surprise to me. After my dad called me back he got Dylan to agree to bring me here. He wants things to change, he wants to be closer, but I don't know how to help with that."

Simpson shouts from the other side of the hangar, "Midnight! Your five minutes are up."

She groans spinning towards the group. "Duty calls. I'll see you in the air." Finley kisses them both on the cheek before running off to change. As she goes Maverick catches up with her. She scowls as he inches closer. "What do you want?"

"To talk."

"No Bueno, amigo. Unless it's about training and this mission I don't want to hear it."

He grips her firmly by the shoulder stopping her. She side-eyes him, her eyes darkening. "If you don't take your hand off my shoulder in the next five seconds you won't have any hands."

Maverick raises his hands in surrender taking a cautious step back. "Will you ever talk to me?"

"I was lied to nearly all my life about who I am. Ice gave me a chance, no thanks to you. I grew up around you yet you still never had the decency to tell me the truth. You tried to set me back like you did Bradley. Thank God Ice knew he had that right and not you. You can try apologizing, you can try getting on my good side, but it will never happen."

She shoves him back angrily as she steps into the locker room. There is a locker near the showers where a lock is placed. She remembers was Dylan said after they landed.

"There's a locker already prepped for you. Tom had your stuff shipped and placed in the locker. Your flight gear and helmet should all be in there."

She chuckles remembering the lock combination. Out of all the locks I've chosen to set her with the one she used back in high school. It was an easy combination.

She gets dressed heading out on the tarmac. The sun is bright as it beats down on her naturally pale face. She reties her hair into a low bun walking to find her aircraft. As she walks she sees Maverick and Rooster talking. Bradley looks the least bit pleased. After Bradley is dismissed she runs up to him poking him in the side. He looks down at her with a look of displeasure.

"That looked like it went well."

"He's trying to pretend as if nothing happened."

"I know," she replies, "he tried doing it with me too. So look, I only had twenty minutes to get debriefed in the helicopter, can you tell me a bit about the other guys?"

Bradley laughs but tells her anyways. She gets the basic information regarding some of the men and women on the team. Though she knows Bradley only knows some of them quite well. Phoenix was Rooster's wingman once upon a time before they went their separate ways. Now, Bob is Phoenix's WSO. He tells her little about Payback, Fanboy, and Coyote. Weirdly he tells her a lot about Hangman.

She raises a brow, "you sure know a lot about Seresin."

"He's a dick. He doesn't think about anyone but himself. He always believes that the success of a mission resides only with him," he pauses seeing the slightly frightened expression written on Finley's face. "Are you going to be able to fly with him, Fin?"

She bows her head. "If I have to I will, otherwise I'll try everything in my power to have every one of his training sessions with Maverick. Egotistical and misogynistic sounds a bit like my dad back in the day."

Bradley scoffs, "which one?"

She punches him harshly in the shoulder. "That's not cool." He pouts pathetically. As she rolls her eyes she turns away walking to her f-18. She gives him the finger listening as he laughs genuinely at her childlike behavior.

Yeah, this was going to be something.