18

The next day she woke up with a hella hangover. She didn't think much of it as she got dressed and ready for the day. She had gotten up early in the morning, around four to go for a jog around the block. By five she received a message. It was for her and Maverick to head to base that evening.

She and Bob spent the day together doing as they wished. The entirety of the aviators was off as cautionary. They wanted their pilots to be in the right mindset so they gave them all an extra day off.

By the time came around she pushed any thought and emotion that consumed her far into the back of her mind. She neglected the pain she felt and got ready.

When she got to base she realizes she and Maverick arrive at the same time. Stepping into the building the two remain silent. They don't speak a word until they are invited into the admiral's office.

"I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now. Take some time. Whatever you need."

They glance at each other. "We appreciate that, sir, but there is no time. The mission—"

"I'll be taking over the training from here."

Finley furrowed her brows looking over to him. Bates remains silent in the back of the room unable to be seen. "Sir?"

"We know neither of you wanted this job, Captain Floyd and Mitchell."

Maverick launches into a series of facts even she knows are true. "Sir, they're not ready."

"Well, it was your job to get them ready."

She stepped forward almost accusingly. "Sir, they have to believe that this mission can be flown!"

"And all you've managed to do is teach them that it can't."

"Sir—" Maverick starts.

"You're grounded, Captain. Permanently."

She almost forgot that this would be his last post as Captain. Her heart pangs at the reminder. She winces at the statement.

"Sir?"

"Captain Floyd, the team in Afghanistan is expecting you soon. Pack your bags."

Her jaw slacks at the lack of sincerity he holds for the two of them. Anger erupts inside her as she clenched her teeth.

"Sir—"

"That is all," Simpson gestures to the door.

She grits her teeth together shaking her head at the ceiling. She stomps out the door wanting to punch a hole in the wall. Maverick follows close behind.

She stops at her car pulling out her motorcycle helmet. A gift that was left by her father. It was his. It even has iceman stickered on the side.

Maverick jumped on his bike starting it up. "I'm coming with you."

"How did you—"

"If you need words of wisdom you go to the queen of knowledge."

She slips on the helmet hopping on the back. Maverick sides to not go against her. She wraps her arms around his waist as they head off to Penny's place.

Penny is already sitting outside almost like she was expecting their arrival. "I heard. I'm sorry."

Finley scoffs, "news travels quickly."

She frowns. "What are you gonna do?"

"Ice is gone. What choice do we have?"

Finley sighs sitting beside Penny. "He's shipping me back to Afghanistan. He's expecting me to be back there in a couple of days. I can't do anything about it."

Penny hums. "Really? You can't?" She pauses to register the looks given to her. "Fin, as you know I've known for quite some time this idiot is your father. You have his blood running in your veins. More importantly, you've got jet fuel in your blood." She laughs lightly at the phrasing. "I'm serious. You were born to fly. Why are you letting your mission over there that, from what you told me, isn't even going to be active for another month affect what's happening here?"

She stays quiet. Finley gets her point.

Penny looks over to Maverick. "You'll have to find a way back on your own."

"No, penny. I'm out. We both are. This is over."

"Pete," she shakes her head. "If you lost your wingman up there, you'd keep fighting. You wouldn't just give up. Those are your pilots. Both of yours.
If anything happens to them, you'll never forgive yourselves."

Pete looks down. In a quiet voice, he says, "I don't know what to do."

She cups his cheeks whispering to him, "but you'll find a way. I know you will."

Finley folds her hands in front of her. "I can't compete with him. They're going to send me back."

"Then give them a reason to not to send you back. You and Maverick are a part of this team. Hell, you are the team. If you two can't do this then they sure as hell won't be able to. You are the fuel to the fire in them. If you don't fight your way back for this mission, it won't be a success."

Finley sighs looking over to Maverick. "He's going to drastically change the mission parameters."

"He'll make them believe it's the safer route. Enemy aircraft will be able to intersect or it'll be a dogfight all the way home without the SAMS."

"Time, ceiling... he's going to change it all. He'll be putting them more at risk."

Penny smiles. "It seems you already know what's going to happen. You know the risks. So, what are you going to do about it?"

They glance at each other, a smirk growing on Finley's lips. "Stupid ideas are your area of expertise, but I may already have one."

"I'll let you guys talk." Penny excuses herself into her house leaving the two on the porch.

"What do you say, Mav? Care to join me in by hijacking two planes tomorrow morning to prove a point?"

He chuckles. "I thought you'd never ask."