19

The next morning they snuck past security jumping into two jets. She opened her phone for a minute reading a jumbled text: u been bend?

She laughs knowing it was meant to be 'benched' so she texts her husband back: we'll see about that.

She tucks her phone into the inside pocket of her gear. Revving up the engine she closes the canopy. Her helmet slides forth. Maverick takes to the air first before she does. When he's a good distance away she races off to catch up to him.

"How are you doing, kid?"

"Perfect. I'd be your wingman anytime, Mav."

"Ready?"

"Born ready."

The two of them get close enough. They head in one after the other until they see the entry point.

Maverick makes the call connecting to the tower. "Maverick and Moonlight to range control. Entering point Alpha. Confirm green range."

There's a pause on the other line for a minute. "Uh, Maverick, Moonlight, range control, uh, the green range is confirmed. I don't see an event scheduled for either of you."

Finley smiles through her helmet. "Eh, what the hell. We're going anyways."

"Setting time to target, two minutes fifteen seconds," he stops for a second. "Final attack point. Maverick's inbound."

"Moonlight inbound."

They set into a steep decline. She grunts feeling the light weight invade her chest. As they level they enter the course.

She grunts again taking a sharp turn. "My tolerance for idiots is extremely low today. I used to have some immunity built up, but obviously, there is a new strain out there."

Maverick turns quickly to the right. "Are you talking about yourself or me?"

"Uh, both? I get it from..." she wheezes, "you. The stupid decision seems to be in my blood too. You know, Oaklynn says I abuse the privilege."

Maverick chuckles, "he's not wrong. How are we doing on time?"

"00:00:46 seconds ahead of schedule. Keep it up, Mav."

"We're almost out of this."

She laughs with yet another painful grunt. She breathes hard. "Good. I'll have you know I love being me. It pisses off all the right people."

"Do you plan on getting dishonorably discharged?" He asks.

"Well, as much as flying is my life I don't care too much. But my other mission... damn they'd be lost without me."

"Will you tell me about that?"

"That's classified, dear Maverick."

"Popping in three, two, one."

As they hit the incline it doesn't last long until they invert to go down the imaginary hill.

"Laser, Moonlight."

"Laser is a go. Target lock."

"Bombs away."

They quickly pull up. The momentum they take makes Finley feel as if all her organs left her body. Her brain squeezes all which ways, her heart hammering along for the ride. At nine g's she squeezes her eyes shut and reopens them. Her thumb is still on the laser.

"Positive contact!"

The two of them instantly level out seeing as they hit ten g's. They unhook their masks gasping for air.