12

Maverick got chewed out that evening by Cyclone and an unimpressed Warlock. She heard the news after he was advised to talk to Iceman the next day. That came from her mother.

She dipped out of her parent's house with her brothers in a matter of minutes. She understood Maverick and what he did, but between her and Oaklynn, they weren't ready to talk to him.

Instead, she gathered the rest of the aviators and they all met at the Hard Deck. It was mid-day when they arrived. They shot some pool, drank some beers, and even played some darts. Though she kept her distance from Hangman, avoiding him at all costs.

Penny slipped in front of her.

She sat at the bar alone slowly gulping down her beer. The aviators were off doing their own thing. Bob and Rooster were glaring at Hangman from the back corner with Phoenix at their side. It was amusing seeing all these people have her back. It felt nice being protected but she also hated the feeling of being hovered. They wouldn't leave her alone for too long, they also wouldn't be too far away.

Penny asks her, "wanna talk about it?"

"What?"

Penny rests her arms on the bar. "You're thinking, but not the good kind. I know that look."

"What look?"

Her eyes are unfocused and her body is slumped on the stool. "That one."

Finley sighs. "Have you ever gone through something so traumatic, even though it's been years... it still sticks with you? You get scary memories here and there and you just can't seem to forget it."

"Accident in the air?"

"More like attempted murder."

She hums to herself with a frown. Penny places her hands over Fin's giving them a tight squeeze. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can't begin to imagine the pain you were in."

Out of habit, she reaches for her shoulder. "I just want the memories to disappear. I know it's not just hurting myself but the people around me too."

"You're a tough girl, Finley. I believe you can overcome anything. One way or another you will beat this disorder. It's in your blood."

She scowls, "sometimes I wish I didn't tell you who my bio dad is."

Penny chuckles patting her arm. "I think he'd be happy knowing you acknowledge him as that. What's going on between you guys? I sense there's been a change in your relationship."

"Eh, I wouldn't say that. I mean, Oaklynn and I found out some... things. You could say we're looking at things in a new light."

"Does this mean there's a chance you'll have some kind of relationship in the future?"

Finley tilts her head, a sneaky little grin navigating its way to her lips. "Are you asking as a genuinely interested person or the woman he's been seeing since before this training started?"

She jumps back, mouth gapped. "Wha— no. I'm n—"

"Oh Penny, you're too predictable," she laughs, "I wasn't sure but you just confirmed it. Maverick has been coming around as much as possible when I or Oaklynn are home. When he's out and about Jimmy is running the bar. I think the last time I saw him here was three years ago, you disappeared every time I tried to visit. What was that about?"

Penny gawks as Fin raises a curious brow. She teases her relentlessly afterward until she tells her everything that's going on.

"Okay, okay, fine. We're... talking."

"Talking?" She gives her a look. "What are you, teenagers?"

"I could say the same about you."

She shrugs, "I am at heart."

"What are you doing over here, Fin? You should be with your team. Teacher or not you are still a part of this mission."

"They're Robbie's friends, not mine."

Penny shakes her head huffing out a breath of disbelief. "That's not what Bradley tells me." A customer asks for a beer, and as Penny helps her she tells Finley, "you've gotten close to them. He says you all talk after training whether it's texting, calling, or being in person. Hell, you're all here right now."

"Speaking of," she slaps her card on the table, "next round's on me. And maybe you're right, I'm getting closer to them, primarily Phoenix."

"It's something."

"Yeah... it's something."

"Listen Fin, I don't know much about you besides the fact that you're in the Navy, but I did pick up a couple of things along the way. I know you have trust issues and you keep people at arm's length. If you can't trust the rest of these guys, they won't trust you, and that will impact their ability to trust each other. You can ignore Hangman all you want, but trust the others."

She laughs humorlessly taking a drink of her Corona. "It's a habit. I've never stayed in one place long enough to make friends, loyal friends that have my back and know I have theirs."

The brunette beauty shakes her head sliding over another fresh beer. "You told me a few years back that you and Bob met right before you got deployed. After that deployment, you saw him again. Five years later you guys are married and stronger than ever."

"That's different!"

"How, because you two have a romantic relationship? I could say the same about Rooster. You talk to Rooster more than your own brothers," that made her heart break. She winces at the bluntness. "You and Rooster have a friend-like relationship but also a professional one. If you can do that with him why can't you do it with the others?"

She sighs folding her arms over the table. "I don't trust the others yet."

"Exactly," Finley furrows her brows looking utterly confused. "You aren't going to trust those guys by keeping them at arm's length. So respectfully, my dear, get off your ass and socialize with your team."

Penny pulls the beer out of her hands before she's able to drink it. Fun pouts childishly, "you're mean to me."

"You may hate my honesty but you need it."

She huffs, "fine, I'll go. Thanks, Penny."

"Anytime, Captain."