7

The following morning Fin rolled onto the other side of the bed. She felt it was empty immediately waking her. She sits up slowly as the sun seeps through the curtains of the room. She looks around tiredly not seeing her husband anywhere.

She hears the kitchen sink running putting her heart at ease. She rolls onto her stomach grabbing her phone from the nightstand. 06:34. She groans into the mattress as she pulls herself up leaning against the bedpost. She pulls the covers over her chest checking her messages.

Bob must have given her number to the team because they each individually texted her asking if she was okay. She ignores them. At the top of the list of names are her father and Admiral Bates.

She reads Admiral hates text first: we have to talk after you meet with your father.

She furrows her brows at the text. She clicks away agreeing to it before moving to her father. Of course, there in short wording are his commands to come to their home.

Finley huffs rolling her eyes. She gets out of bed dragging her feet as she walks into the kitchen. She looks at her husband whose cooking breakfast and surprisingly not wearing his glasses. He looks like an adorable dork from the back.

She smirks. My ass, she thinks.

"You look like shit."

He turns around to face her with a knowing smile. "I'd say the same but you always look beautiful to me."

She clicks her tongue in disgust. "How is it that every time I try to insult you you always have a compliment?"

He grabs her wrist yanking her closer to him. He tilts her chin up to meet his dazzling blue eyes. "I've dealt with your bullshit for five years, your insults are nothing anymore."

"One of these days I will get you to retaliate."

He towers over her meeting her eye level and kissing her on the nose. His hot breath lingers on her lips and neck. Internally she begs him to do something but he just stands there smirking. She blushes under his gaze. He leans forward the heat steaming down her neck. "Keep dreaming," he whispers.

Bob steps back leaving her dumbfounded. He goes back to cooking humming as he does so. Finley's jaw slacks staring wide-eyed at her husband.

"That was just cruel!"

"Oh so you can tease me every time you get back then walk away as if nothing happened, but I can't?"

She slaps him playfully in the chest. "I underestimate you."

"It's been five years, you'd think my wife would know me better by now."

"I need to be home more."

Bob hands her a plate of bacon and eggs, her favorite breakfast. She smiles softly jumping to sit on the counter while she eats. Bob stands next to her doing the same.

"You have to leave soon."

"I know. Do you want a ride?"

She groans taking another bite of her breakfast. "I'm not coming. My dad wants to see me, Bates wants to talk to me after. I'm assuming that includes Simpson too."

He takes her plate washing them in the sick. "You know I can do that," she tells him.

"You know I don't mind."

Her lip quirks up. "You say that every time. You know this relationship is supposed to be 50/50."

He raises a brow, "that's not what our vows said."

Her mouth shapes into an o remembering what they said to each other that day. "Right, that we'd each be 60/40 with each other."

"Hm, I believe that was your idea too."

Finley chuckles, "as you know most days I have the memory of a goldfish and the mentality of a five-year-old."

"Somehow I fell in love with that girl. She's a cheeky redhead who doesn't like my sisters. She's determined in the workplace and loves her privacy. She is a dork on the inside that will never show. Yet I know I will never stop loving her so long as I live."

She shivers at his words. Hopping off the table she wraps herself into his embrace. "That was cheesy as fuck but I love it. I love you."

"I love you too, Moony."

Fun laughs genuinely. "It's been a while since I heard that nickname."

"It suits you."

She scoffs, "my hair is red and my eyes are green. I'm just as white as snow. I look nothing like the moon."

"No, but Moonlight is your personality," he smiles down at her. "You are graceful and kind. You show compassion and cherish those around you. You're empathetic and sincere. You are the definition of Moonlight, Fin." He kisses her forehead drawing her near once more.

She shrugs, "maybe I just don't see it."

He hums rubbing circles on her arm. "What's this about you seeing your dad and Admiral Bates? Do you think it has anything to do with yesterday?"

"I wouldn't exclude it. I'm sure there's more there I just don't know what. You have training and I should leave. You know how my dad is about timing."

"Right, always being early."

She gives him a chaste kiss and goes to change in the spare room with Bob goes to get ready in their main room. The spare room is where she kept her luggage. She didn't have the energy to unload the night before.

They exit their little apartment together heading down to their rental cars. "Wish the others luck for me."

"What should I tell them if they ask about what happened?"

She frowns, "nothing. It takes time to talk about this. I've only ever talked to Bradley, my dad, my therapist, and you about it. Nat knows now but it's still fresh after yesterday."

"I understand, sweetheart. Stay safe."

"I will. Let me know how dog fighting with Maverick goes today."

"You know it. I'll see you later."

She climbs into her car heading into the city to her family's home. As she pulls up to the large home walking up to the wooden doors. She knocks twice before entering.