11

Flashback...

Finley was on the ship preparing for her mission. The planes were preparing for the mission as she was getting geared up.

Unknowingly a figure walked into the room as she pulled her jacket over her shoulders. Her suit followed over the top.

"Looking, good Lieutenant."

She gasped falling into the locker. Her eyes snapped to the figure. "Mason. What the hell are you doing in here?"

"I was supposed to be team lead."

She catches her breath walking past him. He shoves her against the wall of the ship. She looks down unnerved by the fact that his arm is pressed against her chest.

She blows a strand of hair out of her eyes. "You weren't. You'll have to manage anybody else. Be glad you're on this mission in the first place."

"All you Kazansky's think you're better than everyone."

"I didn't graduate at the top of our class for nothing."

He growls pushing her harder into the wall. "You're nothing, Kazansky. You shouldn't be flying. After this... I'll make sure of it."

• • •

They were on their way back to the ship after defeating their target.

"Mason, a bogey East coming fast. Increase speed."

As said previously, he doesn't listen. Lieutenant Mason breaks from their steady line heading off toward the target.

"Storm, where are you going? We have to get back to base."

"Negative, Moonlight," she could almost see his evil smirk in her mind. "You said it yourself, the bogey is coming fast. Better be safe than sorry."

She curses under her breath turning the controls to lead her behind him. She increases her speed to catch up to him. The bogey was right on their nose. The enemy deflected the missile with flares. The hit made the aircraft direct its target onto Finley. Unfortunately for her she had one missile left and is out of flares.

"Storm, I can't shake this guy! Get him off me!"

"I got your back."

She believed him for a second. As a missile shot, James Mason took the opportunity to use his last missile. The missile destroyed the plane immediately but it wasn't over yet.

"Shit, Storm, another on your nine." She swooped down coming from below.

"Huh? Oh shit!"

She came from below. She knew that the plane can not fight two at once. She knew that to diminish it she would have to have Storm play as the target. Using her ammo to aim for the belly of the plane. In a swift motion the plane is shot down, the person inside ejecting not soon enough.

"Yes! Bullseye! The coast is clear, Storm. Ready to head back to the carrier?"

She levels up in front of him. He doesn't answer which confuses her. "Moonlight, a bogey on your six. I can't get to you."

"What? But you're—"

Before she has the chance to finish her question she feels him emptying his ammo into the back of her plane.

"What the hell!" Her communications are cut as her plane free-falls to the ground. "No!" She ejects last minute.

As her parachute deploys she guides herself toward the ground. That is before it lands on a tree.