13

Early the next morning, Finley and Bob are sitting at their kitchen table eating breakfast together before training.

"Babe, how long has it been since we've gone on a date? Like a proper date?"

Finley thinks about it as she chews her breakfast. "I don't know. Over a year maybe?"

Bob hums peering down at his date. A small smile dances on his face. "Finley," she looks up, "would you go on a date with me tonight?"

"Tonight?" She recites, her face beating red. She smiles lovingly leaning over the table and giving him a short kiss. "I'd love to."

"Be ready at 7?"

"You got it. What should I wear? I don't know anything fancy, love."

He chuckles caressing her hand softly. "You've always been a tomboy. I wouldn't expect you to dress fancy. Casual will be fine."

"Now that's something I can do. Are you ready? We can do the dishes together later."

"Yeah, yeah. Ready if you are."

They're about to head out the door when they receive a text message. The only group chat Maverick is invited to.

He texts: training is on the beach outside the Hard Deck. Bring athletic clothes and prepare to get wet.

She furrows her brows, Bob matching her reaction. "Did you know about this?"

"News to me. Then again he plans everything and I just go along with everything."

He hums again putting his phone on the table. Finley follows putting her phone next to his. Bob says, "we should probably change."

She looks down at her formal Navy uniform and sighs. "You're probably right."

Since she had some time off she managed to organize her belongings in their shared room. Individually they change into more fitted clothing.

She groans feeling the thin straps to her tank top dig into her shoulders. Her legs are exposed as she puts on her short athletic shorts.

"I don't miss exposing my body for the world to see."

"Why not? You're hot."

She rolls her eyes at him. "You know I don't like the scar."

He walks up behind her pulling her into him by the waist. He kisses the scar on her shoulder sending shivers down her back. "And I tell you every time you're beautiful inside and out."

"You always know what to say, don't you?"

"I try my best."

• • •

"What the fuck are we doing here?"

Bradley stands in the sand next to Finley. Everyone is waiting for Maverick to arrive. Finley was the one to speak.

He looks at her, "you're the instructor, aren't you supposed to know?"

She slaps her hands at her sides looking at the water, squinting into the sun. "I don't know shit. He plans everything, I just go with it."

"What the hell is he playing at?"

She looks around furrowing her brows. "Oh, you have to be shitting me."

Payback is standing off to the side crossing his arms. "What is it?"

She turns to Bradley with a disbelieving look. "Sometimes I think he lives a fantasy world." He raises a brow, confused. "You remember what I told you about that mission our dads had?" He nods. "As a team exercise, they played volleyball. It was to help them bond, show that what they did in the sand would help them in the sky."