20

Goodbyes are hard.

She sits in her childhood home taking everything in. She's been on an extreme mission before, one that could kill her. Then again, isn't every mission like that?

Bob went out with the others. She wanted him to have fun for the night, and not have any worries. Being in her home town she had some people to talk to before she left.

Her older siblings are out and about with their kids so it's just Dylan, Oaklynn, and her mom. Dylan and Oaklynn walk outside toward the back yard where she moved to stare at the white picket fence.

"Another funeral? I don't think you can handle another one of those."

She laughs nervously turning around. Yes, she's in her white uniform. She hadn't gotten around to telling them she was going on the mission.

"N-no, that's not the case." She breathes out a rattled breath. "I'm going on the mission. I'm going to be flying again."

Oaklynn frowns. "Is that the right move? You know... after last time?"

She shrugs, "to be honest I haven't thought of that. I'm still shocked I'm going to be flying a mission again. I have some concerns about this, but that's not on my to-do list to worry about at the moment."

"Then what is?" Asks Dylan.

She takes off her hat running her thumb across the black brim. "Someone might not come home. I want to say goodbye. We ship out tonight."

Oaklynn shakes his head walking up to her. "Don't say goodbye. It sounds like we'll never see you again."

"There's always that possibility, Oak, you know that."

"Then don't say that. Don't say goodbye," Dylan says sternly. "We've been closer these last two weeks than we have a since high school. It's like it was then. I'm not about to lose that over a mission."

She throws her hands up in the air. "Then what do you want me to say? I'll be gone for a couple weeks!"

"Then say 'see you later.'"

Oaklynn nods at his brother. "If there is a sliver of hope that you come back from this we want to hold onto it. So... just say 'see you later.'"

Welding up in tears she hugs Oaklynn around the waist. He hugs her back Insta toy. Dylan joins the embrace kissing her on the top of the head. She sniffles as they hold each other.

"Have you talked to mom?"

She nods, "she gave me her words of encouragement. Said dad would be proud. Have you talked to Pete?"

"Yeah," he says, "he stopped by the Hard Deck to see Penny. We talked things through."

She hums in acknowledgment. "Where do you stand with him?"

Oaklynn shrugs. "He's my dad. I kind of want to even this relationship between us out... before it's too late. What about you? Have you talked to him?"

"No, but I plan on talking to him right after I'm done talking to you guys. I love you goofs, you know that."

"We love you too."