Chapter Seventeen-Winter Soldier

Fury and Coulson stood outside of an operating theater in silence. 

There had already been four agents wheeled into surgery from the recent ambush, and they had all been injured heavily.

 Coulson was leaning against the wall, watching the neurosurgeon try and repair the damage done to the female agent.

"Hes targeting-its not random or in any sort of pattern....Nick that doesnt fit the profile", Coulson muttered under his breath.

 Fury groaned, "We don't know that for sure-"

 "Nick! We have 6 years of evidence-frankly we've been arrogant to not connect the fucking dots before now. Six years Fury, even you know at this point that to Ironman", he looked through the glass as the doctors got more frantic in movements as the woman's heart rate fell.

 "Some have targets tattooed into their skin".

 The machines inside the room resounded in a loud, flat beep, causing Fury to shake his head.

 "And they pay for with their lives"

A sheet was pulled over the woman and wheeled out, and the surgeons left the room one by one, until the last turned off the light.

"This doesnt make any sense", Fury groaned, pacing in the hall,

"Nothing seems to with this man", Coulson offered helpfully, "No motive, no ransoms, no apparent morals or driving reason for this"

Coulson looked at Fury, "Is that report that Romanoff did on Ironman accurate?"

Fury sighed tiredly, "I'm not sure anymore, we should have had more, chaos, more death-not this"

The head surgeon was peeling his gloves off and tore his mask off as he stormed over to the two men in the hall that brought the three men and two women in-only one of which had survived.

"For the love of sanity what have you brought to me?" he raged, very snappy and irritated. 

"I have never seen such intensive internal bruising on grown adults, so much as breathing in the wrong direction would and did make their vitals drop. 

What the fuck is going on here? I understand that you couldn't deal with these injuries but Jesus Christ what happened to them?! It should be impossible for the scale of living and dying to be that balanced, yet here we are!"

He pinched the bridge of his nose, "Tell me why, these people had an exact 50 percentile of surviving or dying from their injuries, and then why these cases rank back for over half a decade"

"Im afraid thats classified Doctor Strange", Coulson said tertly, "We can't disclose that-"

"Im their doctor agent", Strange replied just as cold, "and as their medical doctor I have a right to know what actually happened instead of that bullshit cover story you gave the nurses as they were walked in".

Fury raised an eyebrow at the doctor, causing the two to stare at each other for long moments.

"Dr. Strange," Fury began, crossing his arms over his chest, "Is there anything at all you can tell us about their injuries or why they died? Anything out of the ordinary?"

Stephen scoffed, "Everything about it is weird and suspicious," he rubbed at his temples, "when the body has been beaten down to the point where it has a choice of fighting to live or giving up to die...its concerning"

"How so?" Coulson asked with a furrowed brow.

"For two reasons, the attacker knows how to incapacitate and kill someone but is leaving it, well, to the universe or ones god to decide."

"And the second reason?" Fury prompted.

"You have to have a lot of anger in order to continually beat someone down to that point", Stephen said with a dry tone, "Or a hell of an incentive to keep going".