We could just be us

"You understand, don't you Todd?"

"Of course Neil, I understand perfectly."

"Then why can't he." Neil was pacing the room after yet another phone call with his father, this one after his father found out about him secretly persuing his acting dream behind his back. Neil had aced his audition for A Midsummer's Night Dream a few months ago, and had secretly been doing rehearsals behind Mr. Perry's back. But he recently found out about them, and was not letting Neil down easy. 

"How could he be so cruel! What does it matter to him if I want to act, it's perfectly respectable."

"Perfectly respectful." I repeat, unsure of what exactly Neil wants me to add to this conversation. 

"And how does it affect him? It's my life,"

"Your life!" 

"Why don't I get the choice of what to do with it!" 

"Exactly." 

"Besides, me not going to medical school would save him so much money." 

"So much money."

"Todd, what if we ran away?" 

"Total-, wait what? Neil what are you talking about?" 

"Think about it Todd," he stops his pacing and rushes to sit next to me on the bed. "You and me could just take off, go somewhere new, where no one knows us." 

"Neil, I really think-" He takes my hands in his.

"We could just be us, and we could be happy, and I could act, and you could do whatever the hell you wanted,"

"Neil!" 

"Yes baby," 

"I think what you really need is some sleep." He stops, his eyes slowly shrinking back down to their regular size, and contemplates this, as if he's only just realized how tired he is. 

"Maybe, yeah maybe that's what I need." 

"Come here." I scooch backwards on the bed and hold out my arm for him to crawl into. He snuggles up beside me, head resting on my chest. He lays his hand flat against my ribs, rubbing his palm over the material of my shirt. 

"I really appreciate you Todd." 

"I know Neilly, I know." And like that, he's fast asleep.