⁹ strangers advice

✼  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉  ҉ ✼
ESCAPISM. ― act one
                  ˖*°   cₚₜₑᵣ ₙᵢₙₑ
      ˎˊ- ₛₜᵣₐₙgₑᵣₛ ₐdᵥᵢcₑ

    ―     act one                  ✧˖*°࿐   cₕₐₚₜₑᵣ ₙᵢₙₑ      ˎˊ- ₛₜᵣₐₙgₑᵣₛ ₐdᵥᵢcₑ

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

AFTER delivering the profile, Emily, Spencer, and Athena found themselves sitting with Beeks as they discussed their findings.

"He's been in the system? I thought you said he's from suburbia." Beeks questioned. Athena examined the map Spencer had set up.

"He grew up in a medium socio-economic status, but his rage against families tells us that he experienced extreme abuse or neglect," Spencer explained as the three intently listened. "So at some point, he was most likely removed from his family. Now, I had Garcia widen the search of missing children to those in foster homes and juvenile care facilities, all represented by these ten black dots."

"Ten kids fit our profile. That's great." Emily nodded in satisfaction.

"Actually, each dot represents a thousand currently in the system." Spencer corrected, lips pulled together in a frown.

Athena's eyes widened, her fingers tracing over one of the dots. "Ten thousand children," she said, tilting her head. "Nebraska's one of the nations highest per capita state ward populations."

"Now, using the age and gender of our suspect, I was able to whittle down the search and that yielded this interesting pattern." Spencer added on as he waved his hands at the dots on the map.

Beeks crossed his legs over each other as he tilted his head at the board. "A pattern of red dots," he sighed before looking a Spencer again. "Give me one more hint."

"The red dots represent thirty-three boys between the ages of ten and seventeen who became wards of the state this year, all abandoned at major hospital's." Spencer further explained.

"The Safe Haven law." Beeks concluded. Emily immediately frowned at this.

"Wait a minute, I thought the Safe Haven law was so that women could leave unwanted babies in hospitals instead of leaving them in dumpsters." Emily said.

Athena turned to face her, arms crossed over her chest. "True, but there initially wasn't an age limit in Nebraska. The law only now just covers infants."

"Right, the law only just now covers infants." Spencer repeats her last sentence again, subtly correcting her speech.

"They're right," Beeks adds. "We still get teenagers left at the hospitals with a note pinned to their jacket. Some are even driven in from out of state."