Chapter 23

Here we are, in Maintenance. There's only one level left. The entrance door's locked, no surprised. But the Little Miracle Station put here gives me a bad feeling.

"It's odd." Sammy speaks, "Norman should be here, wandering around. But now, he's nowhere to be seen."

I got no memory about this, literally, so I just nod.

Jack... I don't dare to think about what Norman would do to him after that moment... All I could do is snapping out of it and continue. Since he is made of ink, sooner or later he will revive... right?

'It will be Ok. Everything will be Ok. Ink Creations can revive sooner or later.' I reassure myself. I look at my companion who is deep in his thought. He lost one of his best friends, while another one's ready to kill him on sight. I can't help but feel bad for him. Better not mess things up, (Y/N). This friend of yours has been through enough.

We don't have many weapons. Sammy still got the axe, but it's almost broken. I still have my knife, and I won't hesitate to use this now. In conclusion, at least we can defend ourselves.

We wade through the ink. I notice ink metal hearts on top of the wooden crate. Norman's collection I see. I cautiously take a heart. There's no screech echoing the room. I stare at it blankly. It's so cold.

"What are you doing?" Sammy asks.

"Prepare in advance. In case of being corner by Norman or Ailce, we can use this heart for exchange. Not a good idea, but at least we could try." I squeeze the heart slightly. It doesn't pulse... of course.

"Lucky for you Norman isn't around. I just don't want to be chased by him for stealing his collection anymore." Sammy sighs. "But I admit you're not wrong." I shove it into my pocket and continue my walk. 

We stop at a control that may open the gate leading to the second floor. Sammy quickly accesses the control, and I point my knife at... no one after that. It's... unbelievably easy. But we ignore it, since we don't have time to think about it too much. We go upstairs, and the switch is right there. The bad feeling inside me still doesn't go away, but I have no way to get rid of it.

So fucking annoying...

Sammy flips the switch, then everything goes dark all of a sudden. It's no big deal, but I got scared ridiculously. Oh... right, nyctophobia. A real pain in the ass. How come I didn't feel scared inside a Miracle Station anyway? It... really doesn't matter... The light fades back on not too long after that.

"Nothing left for us to do here anymore. Let's go." I turn to look at Sammy, just to realize I'm holding his arm... without knowing it...

"Ah- sorry! Old habits die hard!" I quickly release my hand. 'Ugh, stupid lights-out!'

"You can hold my hand if you're still scared-"

"It's not what I m-mean! I-It's just... It's really nothing, yeah... Just go back to the haunted house." I say rolling my eyes.

"Hold on a second. I have to find something." Sammy tells me going away. "Aha! Found it! Over here!" He waves his hand gesturing me to come near. I tilt my head to the side but do it anyway. 

"Ok, smile! 1, 2, 3!" Sammy offers holding a camera with a tripod.

"...Wait, don't-"

*Ka-chick*

"Hm... your expression's really interesting."

"It looks like sh*t." My face does look terrible. "And why is there a *CAMERA* in a place like this???"

Sammy points at a camera booth.

"Could you stay at this place for a while?" He says setting up the camera.

"You want to take another picture?" I ask, but still do as he said.

"Perfect! Now could you smile like you did last time?"

"You REALLY want to take another picture of ME???" I almost yell. "H-How about me doing that to you?"

"I hate getting pictures taken."

"So do I."

"But I want to take pictures with you." 

"I... But... It is said that you still keep a photo of you and me. So... we don't need this anymore, right?" I try to protest. 

"I just want to have another one with you. That's all." He replies. Welp, no way out.

"Alright... Just one more pic."

Sammy fixes the camera on the tripod, then stands next to me. I blush very hard. My heart's beating annoyingly fast. I try to smile, but I feel so stressful that my mouth is stiff. Finally, the camera took the picture. Sammy looks the same, but me... ugly as f*ck. He freezes for a while.

"Picture is taken. I know I look bad. You can laugh on the way back. I don't care-"

"Nope, I'm about to say that you look cute." Sammy expressed.

"...Did ink ruin your eyes?"

"Ruined or not, I can't shake a fact that you're really pretty."

...I suddenly laugh. I don't know why, but I can't stop giggling, with my face turning red. I hear another ka-chick. Sammy just took another shot of me.

"I'll keep this. You got no idea how long I have waited for this."

"Sammy, you rude." I pout. But instead of getting mad at him, I laugh even harder, nudging him mischievously and murmuring "Idiot". This time, I stand a bit closer to Sammy, our hands entwined, my head resting slightly on his shoulder. Both of us smile for the camera.

*Ka-chick*

...The picture is really nice.

"My apologies. I guess I make us waste a bit too much time." Sammy apologizes.

"It's Ok. It was really good, to be honest." I speak, holding the picture of us. "And, um... I take this one." Sammy nods.

We walk down the stairs on our way back. But... Man proposes, God dispose. Before I can get out, the gate shut.

"What the-" We let out the same thing. It's not time to talk about that. Luckily, Sammy got out.

"Wait a second, kid, I'll switch that control..." His voice trails off. "It... It BROKE!?"

I haven't recognized the situation yet. Sammy tells me he's gonna cut the steel net so I can escape. But before he does that, a screech echoes the room. I widen my eyes and see through the net, only to squint at the blinding light.

"You have to be kidding me..." I mutter.

Projectionist... no, Norman came out of nowhere. 

And he's aiming at Sammy.

"Hey, (Y/N)! Before helping you out, can you please wait for a bit? This is the matter of me and my old friend, and I... I must handle this myself."

"I will wait! Besides, it's safe here, I'll be fine. Don't worry about me and do your stuff. And one more thing." I kinda find it hard to say this. "I trust you, and I trust that you'll win!"

Sammy looks at me and smiles gently.

"Thank you!"

With that, Sammy holds his axe and ready for the fight.

...

That stupid feeling... It's getting WoRsE!!!