chapter thirteen | the kids aren't alright

warning: this chapter contains graphic details. all out violence ahead.

 all out violence ahead

I knew it was a bad idea as soon I reached the dark lobby of the orphanage, but I also knew it was the right thing to do. If the tables were turned, Kuya Vito would surely drop everything and run to the abyss just to save my ass. 

I looked around, trying to see where Bogart and the twins went, but they completely vanished into the dark. Hindi ko alam kung masyado lang ba silang mabilis tumakbo o masyado lang ba talaga akong mabagal. 

I tried looking for the light switch, but when I found them, none was working. Either there was a power outage or they purposely turned off the electricity, as part of the evacuation protocols. The windows were boarded up too, so no light was coming in from the outside.

I treaded carefully through the dark. It would have been easier kung dala ko ang cell phone ko, kaso hindi ko na alam kung nasaan ito pagkatapos ng mga nangyari kay papa. Naiwan ko rin ang 'go bag' ko sa hotel.

I wanted to scream for their names, but my instincts told me not to.

Growing up, I always heard Papa tell PJ to trust his instincts. So there was I, completely trusting mine too.

I took a deep breath and clenched my hands into fists. Something didn't feel right about the place. Kids were normally running and screaming down the halls, but this time, the only sound I could hear was the rain hitting the roof, and the sound of my own heartbeat. Besides, if the orphanage was empty, they would've locked the gates and the doors.

I leaned close to a wall and used it as my guide as I walked through the dark. Somehow, my eyes could still make up a hallway, some doors, and a whole ass set of stairs. 

I tried to putting myself in Kuya Vito's perspective, and thought that instead of the stairs, he would surely head for the doors nears the lobby . . . kaya ito ang ginawa ko.

I kept opening every doorknob that I reached, but unfortunately, all of them were locked. And as I walked further and further along the dark hallway, that was when I noticed it . . . a smell similar to rust, but stronger. 

Wala sa sarili akong napaatras nang magkaroon ng ideya kung ano ang naaamoy. I swallowed hard in a futile attempt to calm my nerves.

I continued to walk along the dark, empty hallway while holding on to the walls to guide my way. All of a sudden, I began to notice a faint light, but it was coming from another hallway to my left. I underestimated how large the building was.

A light, no matter how faint, is always better than the dark kaya naman maingat ko itong sinundan. Lumiko sa hallway kung saan nanggagaling ang liwanag at nahinto ako sa paglalakad nang mapagtantong nangagaling ang liwanag mula sa isang nakabukas na silid. At habang patuloy ako sa paglalakad palapit, nakita kong nanggagaling pala ang liwanag sa isang flashlight na nasa sahig.