~A Path Beyond Stars: Chapter 2~

Reedtail had slept poorly that night and woke up feeling groggy the following morning.
As she had hoped, she hadn't dreamt of anything she could remember clearly enough for her to be afraid of it.
She stretched and sat on her nest for a moment, looking around the den.
Windcaller, Swiftflight and Redpelt weren't in the den. Neither was Spidertail or Voleroach, but she could see Voleroach with Mossgaze and Whitestripe in the clearing.
She couldn't see Tigerfur, but then she looked over and spotted him ducking out of Crookedfire and Russetpaw's den.
Spiraltail must still be asleep, Reedtail thought.
Her mind flipped over to the elders and the queens with their kits next. She saw Darkkit and Stripedkit gently rolling some moss balls toward Coldkit, Brackenkit and Frostkit in the clearing, their large tabby coats fluffed out against the chill wind.
They'll be apprentices before we leave, Reedtail thought to herself. Grayfur would be proud.
It was no secret that Grayfur had been the one to nurse Reedtail as a newborn. Even though she had always asked about her true parents, nobody responded. And, from the troubled expressions Grayfur always gave Reedtail, she guessed the old gray queen genuinely didn't have a clue either.
Reedtail padded out to sit near the entrance to the den and saw Ashpelt talking to Rockhopper. Reedtail's ear flicked suspiciously. He wasn't telling the old tom of their mission, was he?
The black warrior didn't want to worry herself with the matter, shivering as she fluffed out her fur and looked in the direction of the Nursery.
She could hear chuckles coming from inside and her curiosity drove her to her feet and to the den entrance.
She ducked inside to find Willowleaf, Specklefern, Daisypelt, Fuzzyear and Beeflower all gathered in a small circle. They greeted her with brief bows of their heads or flicks of their tails.
"Hello, young one," Beeflower said kindly. "We were just discussing the kits playing outside."
"They've been so gentle," Willowleaf said, nodding approvingly. "Come, sit with us."
"Actually," said another voice from outside, "Fernfeather needs her for something."
Reedtail backed up a bit to let in the ShadowClan leader, Buzzardstar.
"Oh," Daisypelt said slowly, as though remembering something. "Of course."
Reedtail felt her tail go still as she followed the old tom. Did he know about her mission?
With a mouth like Ashpelt's, I guess every cat knows everything before long, Reedtail thought disapprovingly.
They made it halfway to Stonestar's den before coming to a halt in the middle of the clearing.
Buzzardstar turned to her, his eyes dark with regret.
"What's the matter?" Reedtail asked reluctantly. She didn't feel the need to know of his problems, but she may as well try and be a good Clanmate, even if he wasn't a part of her Clan.
"You share the same pelt as Stonestar, I noticed," he said.
Reedtail stared blankly. "So?"
"You have no clue," he said in bewilderment. "No matter. You will find out."
Reedtail wanted to ask what he meant, but before she could say a thing, the old tom started again, moving toward Stonestar's den.
Before Reedtail reached the den, she found herself being tackled and tripped up by two small bodies. She fell and lifted her head to look at Stripedkit and Darkkit, who laughed and pounced at each other.
"Be careful, you two," she said, shaking her fur as she stood up.
"Sorry, Reedtail," Stripedkit said, smiling with her tail curled around her paws. "We were just playing."
"That's fine," Reedtail chuckled. "Just watch where you're going so you don't accidentally hurt yourselves or one of your Clanmates."
The two tabby kits nodded and rushed back over to Fuzzyear's kits.
Buzzardstar stood at the entrance to Stonestar's den, his face riddled with amusement as Reedtail passed him.
"Hello, Reedtail," said Fernfeather from Stonestar's side.
"Did you need me?" Reedtail asked. "You seem busy."
"No, we were just discussing some things about WindClan," Stonestar said. He gave Fernfeather a look, and the deputy nodded, ushering Buzzardstar and Reedtail back outside.
"Follow me," said the brown she-cat, padding toward the spare den.
Reedtail glanced at Buzzardstar questioningly, but the ShadowClan leader merely shrugged, following Fernfeather.
Fernfeather tilted her head at Reedtail.
Reedtail felt like all she was going to get today was weird looks. "What?" she demanded.
"Have you thought about it?" said the deputy.
"Thought about what?"
"Which cat will accompany you and Ashpelt."
"Oh," Reedtail said, glancing sideways at Buzzardstar, who laughed.
"I already know of your secret mission," he said, sitting down. "Worry not. Your secret is safe with me."
"Then in that case, no."
Fernfeather flicked her tail. "If you have not chosen someone in the next few days, I will choose for you."
"That will not be necessary, Fernfeather," Reedtail insisted.
"I'd say it would be absolutely necessary," Fernfeather said sternly. "Your indecisiveness could get you detected during your mission, and we do not want that."
Reedtail held her urge to sigh in frustration. This conversation seemed ridiculous to her.
"I had the idea of taking Whitestripe," Reedtail said, to her own surprise.
"And Ashpelt?" Fernfeather asked. "Who did he choose?"
Reedtail hesitated. Would it be wise to give away the information of Horizon, the kittypet who had saved Ashpelt during the fox fight in WindClan's camp?
She didn't know why she had to think about it. She hated kittypets with a passion.
Reedtail took a deep breath and said, "He thought we should take Spiraltail once she's healed, or Iris-Eye when she's free of her duties for the day."
She knew what Fernfeather was thinking. No cat was ever free from their warrior duties, even if they weren't a warrior. Every cat did what they could for their Clan, even if it was the smallest kit bringing joy to their parents' faces.
"Spiraltail will not be well enough to travel anywhere for a short time," Fernfeather stated. "Though the choice of Iris-Eye surprises me, I admit."
"Why?" Reedtail couldn't help herself asking.
"No reason," Fernfeather said, flicking her tail dismissively. "Go and see Tigerfur. I believe he had something for you to do."
Reedtail ducked out of the den and walked over to the apprentice den, where the dark tabby warrior was talking with Flamepaw and Ashpelt, who looked embarassed.
She walked over, hearing Tigerfur talking.
"Well, I think it would do you some good to stick to warrior duties before becoming a mentor," he chortled.
Ashpelt's face brightened as he saw Reedtail. "Hi!" he said to her.
"Hello, Reedtail," said Tigerfur, turning around.
"Fernfeather said you wanted me to do something," she said.
"Oh! We were just talking about that," Ashpelt chimed in.
Flamepaw shuffled uncertainly as he glared at Reedtail.
"I wanted you to join me, Ashpelt, Mossgaze and Swiftflight on a hunting patrol before the ceremony," Tigerfur said.
"Ceremony?" Reedtail tilted her head curiously.
"The ceremony later tonight," Ashpelt explained, looking sideways at Flamepaw, whose tail twitched eagerly.
"Oh," Reedtail said. "Congratulations, Flamepaw."
Flamepaw smiled.
"Off we go, then," Tigerfur said. "Flamepaw, come," he said as the young ginger tom hesitantly took a step forward.
The group of cats left, splitting up in pairs of two.
While they hunted, Reedtail and Ashpelt spoke of who to bring with them.