~A Path Beyond Stars: Chapter 7~

"Darkkit and Stripedkit," Stonestar said hurriedly before Reedtail and the others had even sat down. "You have both reached six moons, and it is time for you to begin your warrior training.
"From this day on, until it is time to receive your warrior names, you will be known as Darkpaw and Stripedpaw."
He turned his head to Iris-Eye. "You are ready to have an apprentice, Iris-Eye. You have received great knowledge from your previous mentor, Whiteshine. You have proven yourself to be compassionate and thoughtful throughout your time as a warrior, and I expect you to pass your given knowledge to Darkpaw as his mentor."
Darkpaw hopped eagerly over to Iris-Eye and they touched noses.
"Fernfeather, you have proven yourself loyal and wise many times before," Stonestar said to Fernfeather. "I trust you to pass this to Stripedpaw as her mentor, just as you have with Swiftflight and Daisypelt once before."
Fernfeather and Stripedpaw touched noses and Stonestar flicked his tail dismissively.
Crookedfire walked with Russetpaw toward Stonestar.
Reedtail flicked her ear. He must just be telling Stonestar where he's going, she thought half-heartedly. It was a half-moon and, though Russetpaw had been training for only a short while, she was already a surprising master with herbs and illnesses.
Stonestar glanced sideways at the Medicine Cat and nodded, allowing him to pass through the entrance.
Stripedpaw and Darkpaw had already left to their new den. Reedtail felt bad for them. They would be lonely without any other apprentices for company.
Fernfeather came padding up to Reedtail after showing Darkpaw his new nest in the apprentices' den with Iris-Eye.
The deputy beckoned to Reedtail and Ashpelt and they sat in the spare den.
"Have you any clue where Buzzardstar is?" she asked immediately.
"Isn't he with the elders?" asked Ashpelt.
Come to think of it, Reedtail hadn't seen Buzzardstar at all today. Not since the battle with those dogs, and he hadn't even fought. Everyone knew how much the ShadowClan cats loved to start, or finish, a fight.
"He has been gone the majority of the day," Fernfeather grumbled, glancing over her shoulder to peer out of the spare den, then turned back to them. "I have reason to believe he merely wanted to gather information about us while he was here. You must go tonight," she added in a frantic whisper. "Have you chosen who you will take?"
Ashpelt and Reedtail shared a glance.
Whitestripe probably wanted to go, but her loyalty overpowered her temptation.
Spiraltail wanted to go, but still needed more time to rest.
Flameclaw was a newly appointed warrior. It would be suspicious if he left now.
"We were going to take Iris-Eye," Reedtail said slowly, looking at Ashpelt.
"But," said the tabby warrior, "there's also someone else we may be able to trust."
"May?" snorted Fernfeather. "You either trust the cat or you don't."
Ashpelt's tail fur flattened in embarrassment. "There is this kittypet-" he began, but was cut off by a ferocious hiss from the brown she-cat.
"No kittypets!" she growled.
"But she can fight!" Ashpelt said defensively. "And she knows her way around the twolegs' part of the Lake better than any of us Clan cats, who are too afraid to even investigate the unknown borders!"
Fernfeather's fur was standing up, which made her look a bit like an angry patch of grass and dirt, her green eyes not helping with the picture Reedtail was now unintentionally imagining.
By the time Fernfeather had finally calmed down, it felt like an age had passed. She huffed, then reluctantly asked, "Who is this kittypet?"
"Her name is Horizon," Ashpelt said.
"And you think she knows where to find Half-Sight?" Fernfeather said. Ashpelt nodded. "Why is that?"
"One of the cats that live with her goes to visit some old Twolegplace every half-moon," Reedtail answered.
Fernfeather raised her eyebrow skeptically but made no comment.
"We don't know what for," Reedtail said quickly. "I'd say the other kittypet has a small group of friends that also carry on Clan traditions."
Fernfeather sighed almost frustratedly, then stood. "Very well. Leave before Crookedfire returns. Be quick!"
"We will!" Ashpelt promised, and the two warriors waited until nobody was looking at them. Reedtail and Ashpelt bolted for the entrance to camp and left to where they last saw Horizon.
"How do you know she'll be there?" Reedtail asked as they ran on, panting.
"I... I just do! Hurry up, we can't waste any time!"
Reedtail resisted the urge to question him further and ran on. Finally, they reached the border where Horizon had been seen last.

They came to a stop as they saw Horizon crouching near a tree. Reedtail heard a soft purr erupt from Horizon's throat as Ashpelt came into her line of view.
"My housefolk will not be pleased that I am gone," Horizon said, smiling sheepishly.
"It doesn't matter," Ashpelt reassured her. "Let's go to the Twoleg nest where we saw Half-Sight," he said, turning to Reedtail.
"Hang on," Horizon said before Ashpelt could dart off. "How long has it been since you saw him last?"
"Oh. Er..."
Horizon made a serious face, though she was hiding her amusement.
"If it's been so long you can't remember-"
"It hasn't been that long," Ashpelt interrupted, his ears flattened in embarrassment.
"She means we may not be able to use the same hiding spot we might've used last time," Reedtail said, rolling her eyes. Ashpelt was often daft, but this was just ridiculous! "We aren't apprentices anymore, and we've already reached Leaf-bare. The chances of that bush still having its leaves is highly unlikely unless it's some special plant, which I doubt greatly."
"Let's just go," Ashpelt said. "If Crookedfire's taken Russetpaw to the twoleg nest, we don't have much time."
Without taking time to wait for Horizon's question, they rushed off in the direction Reedtail had followed Crookedfire to.
Please don't let us lose another Clanmate, she pleaded silently. Don't let him kill Russetpaw like he did with Firpaw.