~A Path Beyond Stars: Chapter 9~

"Wake up!" she heard someone call. Reedtail sat up quickly, shaking her head as though to clear it.
"Come on, wake up!" urged the small apprentice in the den, prodding Ashpelt's side with her paw. Stripedpaw sighed and jumped on her older brother.
Ashpelt let out a frightened yelp and sat up, looking around the den. He then turned his gaze downward to see Stripedpaw, giggling.
"Why aren't you with Fernfeather?" asked Ashpelt. Reedtail and Ashpelt led the apprentice out of the den and outside. "Crookedfire returned last night," Stripedpaw said.
"And Russetpaw?" Reedtail asked. Stripedpaw merely shrugged innocently and said, "Spiraltail told me to get you. Has something to do with Russetf- Russetpaw."
Reedtail and Ashpelt shared joyful glances. "Where is Whitestripe?" asked Ashpelt.
Stripedpaw pointed with her tail to the Medicine Den. They could hear excited voices coming from inside.
Reedtail and Ashpelt made their way over and Crookedfire poked his head out of the den. "Yes?"
"Stripedpaw said Spiraltail had sent for us," Ashpelt said cautiously.
"You'll need to wait, I'm afraid," Crookedfire said. "Whitestripe and Spiraltail are already inside, and I will be leaving to gather herbs soon. We're running out."
As Crookedfire backed inside the den again, Whitestripe left with a slight spring in her step. Spiraltail followed shortly after her.
"You're better now?" Reedtail asked happily. She hadn't properly spoken to her friend for the past few days, and it was good to see her again.
Spiraltail nodded and tilted her head. "Russetfire is a Medicine Cat," she said. She didn't sound mad, but she didn't exactly sound pleased. More concerned than anything else.
"Really?" Ashpelt exclaimed. Spiraltail nodded again.
"Can I talk to you for a moment?" Spiraltail said, turning to Ashpelt, Whitestripe and Reedtail.
"Of course," Whitestripe said. The four cats wandered off to the spare den.
"What did you need?" Reedtail asked. Spiraltail shuffled on her paws uncertainly.
"Not long ago," began the gray she-cat, "I had a sort of vision. I think it might have been a prophecy..."
Reedtail, Ashpelt and Whitestripe were silent. Finally, Reedtail asked hesitantly, "What did it say?"
"It showed cats dying," Spiraltail admitted reluctantly. "Cats from every Clan and some from outside of the Clans..."
"And the prophecy itself?"
Spiraltail curled her fuzzy gray tail and gulped before answering.
"The lake is doomed. Darkness lurks upon the horizon."
Reedtail could see the horror in Ashpelt's eyes and Whitestripe's worried glances.
"I don't know what it means," Spiraltail confessed. "I managed to grab Russetfire away from Crookedfire long enough to talk to her about it, and she says she's had the same vision."
"When?" asked Whitestripe.
"As soon as I woke up today."
After a short moment of silence, Ashpelt asked, "What does Russetfire say about the prophecy?"
"She thinks it means the Clans will be destroyed by Half-Sight," Spiraltail said. "And I agree with her. He was the one who spoke the prophecy in my vision, as well as Russetfire's vision. He is undoubtedly involved."
"And you two?" Ashpelt said, looking from Whitestripe to Reedtail.
"I think it's suspicious that Crookedfire hasn't shared this information with Stonestar," Reedtail admitted. "He is meant to be our Medicine Cat, is he not?"
"I agree," Whitestripe said, to Reedtail's surprise. "But we can't ignore the fact that the true traitor is Crookedfire and not Tigerfur, as everyone still suspects. He may be attempting to protect his mouse-brained master by simply not letting anyone know of his visions, if he's had any at all."
"What about you, Ashpelt?" asked Reedtail. The gray tabby tom shuffled around for a moment before replying.
"This will probably sound ridiculous," he mumbled, "but I think the prophecy may have something to do with me and Horizon..."
Spiraltail smirked and Whitestripe seemed furious. Reedtail wasn't sure if she should feel amused or resentful, and Ashpelt looked unimpressed with his confession.
"It's against the Warrior Code," Whitestripe said sharply through gritted teeth.
"I know," Ashpelt said hesitantly.
"I don't think it really matters as long as the Clans manage to pull through the rest of this Leaf-bare," Spiraltail stated.
"Yes, but there are still some moons to pass before it ends," Whitestripe pointed out.
"True. At least we won't have to worry if Crookedfire ends up siding with his false leader, though, with Russetfire as our other Medicine Cat."
"I wouldn't be too sure about that," Reedtail muttered grimly. Russetfire was amazing with herbs, and her knowledge of illnesses was expanding every minute when she was an apprentice, but she couldn't deny that she hadn't been a Medicine Cat apprentice very long, and Medicine Cat apprentices normally stayed an apprentice longer than regular warrior apprentices.
Stonestar's yowl sounded from the clearing and the small group saw their Clanmates gathering beneath it.
Reedtail heard Coldkit ask, "What's happening? Why is he lying down?"
Spiraltail flicked her ears and all four warriors quickly rushed out of the den to sit with their Clanmates. They were gathered in a circle, and in the center was the limp body of ShadowClan's former leader, Buzzardstar.
Reedtail's body went stiff. How had this happened? Thoughts raged through her brain as though a storm was whirling inside.
He'll come back, every leader has nine lives.
But how many did he have left?
Who murdered him?
How could he have been so brutally defeated to stop him from coming back?
Half-Sight,
was her final thought before Stonestar spoke.
"Buzzardstar was found outside the border separating the Lake territory from the rest of the land," Stonestar announced darkly, his tail lashing. "Black fur was found between his claws and a large gash was on the side of his neck."
"Who killed him?" asked Brackenkit unexpectedly.
"We are not sure," Stonestar said, "but we assume it is an enemy that RiverClan and ThunderClan share."
"Stripedpaw and Darkpaw said there were two more Clans," Frostkit protested, waddling up to stand beside Brackenkit and Coldkit. "Don't WindClan and ShadowClan share the same enemy?"
"WindClan is missing and ShadowClan works against the Lake." Stonestar's voice remained steady, though his eyes lingered on the limp body of Buzzardstar. "We know ShadowClan was involved. I will send a patrol to scout around the border, and a small group to inform Runningstar of Buzzardstar. Everyone else shall remain," he added sternly, staring directly at Rockhopper and Beeflower, who shuffled restlessly on their paws, their faces riddled with determination.
"Tigerfur, Whitestripe, you will be part of the team that Fernfeather gathers to examine the borders," Stonestar said, turning to the two warriors. Tigerfur nodded and Whitestripe glanced sideways at Flameclaw.
"Reedtail," said her apparent father, looking down at her, "you will lead a small team to accompany you to RiverClan."
Reedtail nodded hesitantly. Stonestar jumped off the Highledge, dismissing the meeting and following Russetfire and Crookedfire to the Medicine Den.
Fernfeather beckoned to Reedtail and a number of cats stood, lined up before them.
"Redpelt, Mossgaze, Voleroach and Swiftflight will join me, Whitestripe and Tigerfur to the borders," Fernfeather said. She lolled her head sideways as though irritated by something. She then looked at Reedtail and allowed her to speak with the remaining cats.
"Only a small team," Fernfeather reminded her quietly.
"Spiraltail, Ashpelt and Iris-Eye will come with me to RiverClan. Flameclaw, you, Spidertail and Whiteshine will stay here to keep an eye on the Clan with Windcaller and the elders."
Windcaller, Flameclaw, Whiteshine and Spidertail sauntered off to reinforce the dens, first heading to the Nursery and elders' den.
Fernfeather nodded approvingly and the two groups lead their companions away.
"Do your best to stay hidden from any ShadowClan warriors," Fernfeather warned before they went their separate ways.
"ShadowClan wouldn't patrol another Clan's territory for them," Reedtail mumbled.
"You know that's not what I meant," Fernfeather said darkly. She left with her group to scout the borders while Reedtail led her friends away to Runningstar's camp.
My mother's camp, she thought unwillingly.
Iris-Eye and Ashpelt walked on either side of Spiraltail, who seemed to have regained her strength, but barely any energy. The limp she had earned from ShadowClan's last attack had returned, though it wasn't as severe as it was then.
Ashpelt quickened his pace to walk alongside Reedtail. "I was supposed to meet her tonight," he whispered worriedly.
"Horizon?"
"Yes."
Reedtail's ears lay flat against her head now. "You will be able to see her tonight," she reassured him. "Perhaps later than usual, but you will see her."
Ashpelt flicked his tail uncertainly and went back to walk with Spiraltail.
Lovesick fool, Reedtail thought in amusement, forgetting about Jackson.
Finally, the cats came to a stop at the RiverClan border. They jumped over some wet stones and looked around.
"Shouldn't there be warriors patrolling their borders?" Iris-Eye said, glancing around at the deserted clearing.
"Something isn't right," Spiraltail stated from behind, her eyes rolling in every direction as she quickly inspected the area. "Check inside! Quick!"
Reedtail was the first to move. She ran quickly into the RiverClan camp to find a scene similar to that of WindClan.
Bodies lined the camp, from the outside of the dens to the very center of the camp.
And laying at the top of the tree stump was Reedtail's mother, the leader of RiverClan.
Blood dripped from Runningstar's red-stained face as her body lay still.