Chapter 19

-Lucian's POV-

I walked through the halls of the castle in my wolf-dragon form, I had changed my size so that I was about as big as a regular wolf. Though I still had to be careful of my wings. My hips throbbed as did my backside. Eddie truly didn't hold back yesterday so I would be stuck in this form for a while to get around. Luckily for me, Eddie had decided that he and Luana needed a father-daughter day. It would be good bonding for them. I passed several of the castle staff and pack members. All bowed respectfully to me when they caught sight of my golden eyes. I often patrolled the inside and outside of the castle in a smaller version of my shift so I could get the pack members used to it. Some though still seemed confused when I regained my larger mass.  

"Son" I heard my dad's voice behind me. 

Flicking my ear in his direction I turned my head to face him. Happiness exploded in me as I noticed my dad Cody. I hadn't seen any of my parents lately and was told they'd been on many couples retreats. 

"Hi dad, what brings you to me today," I thought into his mind, focusing on him as the static of the mind link settled.

"Do I need a reason to want to see my son, I was going to ask if you wanted to run with me since you can achieve a form small enough to run with me as opposed to all of my other dragon or half-dragon pups" My dad spoke softly rubbing the back of his neck apologetically. 

"Of course, I'll run with you" I agreed happily my tail wagging as I cut off his ramblings. 

"Ah, that's fantastic, I've been meaning to hunt for a while as well. No good staying cooped up in the castle all time" Dad chuckled before he started walking. 

My claws clicked on the tiles as I padded after him. When we were outside my dad disrobed and shifted. His grey/tawny wolf is one I would expect to see in the wild. I then expanded my mass so we were the same size as he'd shifted to be larger than the small wolf I was using to patrol. 

We played a bit before I tore into the forest, keeping my wings securely tucked to my sides. I ran sometimes but I was more used to flying. But now I wasn't confined to the air it was brilliant. My dad ran by my side. We were a blur of grey, rust, black and gold. I noticed several of the pack members in wolf form in the forest but all of them gave us a wide birth. My tongue lolled out of my mouth as I reached a speed that I could only describe as almost flying. I barreled straight into a clearing not watching where I was going and spooked a herd of deer. Luckily Fang was paying attention for me. My jaws closed on a leg and I rooted myself in place as my dad delivered the killing blow. When the deer was down I let go of its leg. 

"Nice catch son, remember to pay more attention next time though," Dad said gently into my mind as he began to feast on our kill.

"I'll keep that in mind" I assured as I tucked in too. I let Fang have the majority control for this part.

I felt my shift's satisfaction through our bond as he ripped and tore at the deer carcass. When he was finally satisfied he gave me back control and I was mind linked by my beta that I was required to attend a training ceremony for royal guard initiations. No rest for a king it seems. 

************************

A while later I was lying down watching sparring matches in both human and wolf forms and dragons flying overhead. There were more than just werewolves and dragon shifters though. a couple of witches, werecats and a fairy. That one surprised me but I had learned they were all warriors sent to help us by their rulers to help us grow closer. King Kieran the sabertooth werecat king had even sent us his nephew as a form of goodwill. 

I had bulked out to my large size to intimidate them. I was a king after all and this level of showmanship was to be expected. I stared down at them all no doubt my golden eyes were making them uncomfortable but they took it in stride. Eddie often told me my stare was enough to unnerve a lot of people. I watched as my two betas finally whittled down to the last eight candidates for the royal guard. The fairy, Kieran's nephew, two of the witches, a vampire, two wolves and a dragon-shifter. The hybrids had their own trials that Eddie was in charge of overseeing. Or at least it's working out that way so far. 

"Your highness, I present our new junior royal guards I will see to it that they are trained impeccably" Cameron my beta promised. He was so Ronnie's son. 

Zach my other beta nodded at me, his approval of the new crop apparent on his face. This truly was a wonderful era we were entering. I wonder if by the time Luana grows up we'll have a supernatural city. I snorted a wolfish laugh. Now that is something I'd love to see happen. 

I shifted on the spot and where I was once my massive hybrid shift I was then my human form. I towered over every one of the junior guards as someone handed me a pair of shorts.

I welcome you to the werewolf kingdom. I Lucian Firestone king of Dragons and Wolves welcome you to my home and territory. I trust you'll be on your best behaviour" I boomed my voice carrying over the training fields. 

"Yes, Your majesty" a unison reply as they all stood straighter to make themselves appear larger than they were. 

I took my leave of them shortly thereafter. It was time for me to see my daughter.