Off He Goes

Every day he found himself hunched over the dining room table with his head in his hands. He turned to the closet, weighed down with regret and guilt, searching for any indication of life. Just five minutes had passed since he had left Tomura's room. Dabi felt compelled to attend Katsuki's passing, being aware of its impending nature. He groaned and gritted his teeth in irritation at that. What harm had Tomura caused him? He made it a point to torture himself by watching a child starve to death.

He's a villain, so from an external view, it wouldn't be that horrible, as he's killed, men and women. Except this was where he drew the line. A kid, someone who had their whole future ahead of them. He's only dying as a result of what he did in the past, bullying Izuku. Something so small and simple, he was dying for it.

Dabi heaved his form out of the chair, walking towards the door. Tomura was preoccupied with Izuku, of course. It made his stomach churn with sadness as he realised Tomura would never love him the way he loved Izuku. He could never compete with the love Tomura felt for Izuku.

He guessed he was opening the closet door to see if Katsuki had finally bit the dust. At first, he saw Katsuki's frail form resting on the interior wall, sitting in the same position as when Dabi had placed him. Dabi cringed at the smell, worse than he expected. A thought came to mind saying that Katsuki might be decaying. "You okay?" He asked, not expecting an answer. With Katsuki's closed eye, he thought he was looking at a corpse.

His chest pounded with fear. "Katsuki?" He extended a hand while getting down on his knees and moving close to his body. Dabi glanced into his eyes, barely touching his neck. "A sign, please. Are you alright?" He wanted to throw up when he realised that he might be dead. He was aware that it would happen soon but seeing it was another matter.

With a heavy heart, he smashed his index and middle finger into Katsuki's upper neck. Waiting a chilling second, he stared at Katsuki's face for any sign of life. But before Katsuki could do anything, Dabi felt a pulse. The relief was exceptional; understanding the life under his fingers, he sat back. "God, Katsuki...I thought you died."

Katsuki's eyes darted in his direction, glaring hotly at him. Dabi found some amusement in knowing he still had his spark. "Sorry," Dabi said half-heartedly, making him shake his head. "I'm not too good with, you know, apologies, so here it is. I'm sorry that I didn't stop Tomura, and I should've known he was a shitty person." He hung his head low in shame and frustration. "It isn't much, as you're dying, but I just wanted to apologise before you do.

A glaring look from Katsuki made Dabi wince. "I know, it's shitty." He sighed, looking down the hall, anywhere but the closet.

At that moment, he missed Katsuki tiredly, perking his mouth open and speaking in a tone that said he was exhausted and drained. "It's...too...late f-for that." Dabi dragged his eyes onto him.

"Yeah, I know," he groaned, rolling his eyes. "The same thing could be said about this being my fault. If I didn't speak to Tomura in the first place all those months ago, I'd never feel the," his voice cracked, "heartbreak I'm feeling now. I've done so much for him, just to be pushed aside by him as he ultimately loves Izuku. I'm not even sure it's love. I'm not trying to be biased, but truly, I don't think it's honest love. Something of toxic love. I know Izuku's treatment is bad, and I think only recently I've begun to conceptualise how bad it is." Denying reality meant using a mental defence mechanism against the truth of Tomura's treatment of Izuku.

"L-l-leave then," Katsuki murmured in a plain tone. "Or kick To–him out." Attempting to say Tomura's name, but it was too hard for his exhausted vocal cords.

Dabi knew the statement was inevitable. He shook his head slowly, looking at his lap and whispered. "I can't. Izuku would be hurt by, um, the person who kidnapped you."