01 - ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

Latibule — Chapter 1///Prologue

I looked at my wrists, inspecting the golden lines running up my arms. I also felt the aforementioned lines pulsing painfully, making me want to scratch flesh off of my bones in order for it to stop. Luckily, I knew I didn't have too long of a distance to go anymore as I rounded the corner and my house came into view. I wouldn't have lasted too much longer in the light, anyway.

I got nearer and nearer to the house and bit by bit, my blood seemed to start boiling from the hotness running through my veins. The pain was also increasing, making me grit my teeth as I did my best to restrain myself from doing anything I knew I would regret later (like scratching flesh off of my bones). It would've been smart to release a bit of the energy but, as the law said, I wasn't allowed to use my quirk in public. Plus — it wouldn't have helped with reaching my goal at all.

Just a bit more, I assured myself, passing the last house before my own and entering the front yard.

The cool air welcomed me as I entered the house, making me sigh in relief as I took my shoes off and made my way into the bathroom to soak my hands under the running water.

"I really have to work on my durability," I muttered, looking at my disheveled appearance in the mirror as cold water flowed over my hands and between my fingers, tripping off of the sides of the fingers and the fingertips. I had sweat trickling down my forehead and the veins on my temples were pulsing and glowing just like they had done every other time I pushed myself slightly beyond my limits.

And although it hurt, I was doing it willingly — just a few months were left until the U.A. High entrance exam and if I wanted to pass, I couldn't just go slacking around. I knew that the most prestigious school in Japan wasn't easy to get into, especially if you didn't have any connections. But I supposed those connections didn't really matter either — not that I had any of them — and that it would be more about raw talent. Which I lacked, in my opinion.

I splashed water on my face, huffing due to it not being refreshing at all — it had turned warm at my touch. Leaning against the sink, I put my hands under the water once again and let little sparkling bubbles emerge from my fingertips so I could release energy without it hurting anyone or just exploding all at once.

Relief washed over me as I felt the hotness leave my veins. I raised my gaze again, narrowing my eyes as I looked at my reflection on the mirror's surface, a bit frustrated with my lack of capability to handle myself. Honestly, what was I hoping for? I was never made to be strong, that much was evident in my quirk.

"Pull yourself together, Y/n," I hissed, rolling my eyes as if fate could see it and apologize. "You can do this."

Honestly, I wasn't quite sure of the last statement but if I wouldn't encourage myself, who would, right?