69 - ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ʟᴇᴄᴛᴜʀᴇ

Previously on Latibule:

I looked around at the laughing bunch, peace growing in my chest as my worries seemed to disappear. I sure hope so. And I'll get to figure out what's going on with Katsuki, too.

Uraraka tapped my shoulder. "L/n, could you show me where the toilet is?"

I smiled, standing up and pulling her along. "Of course, come on."

-~:~-

Latibule — Chapter 69///A Little Lecture

-~:~-

I'd gathered outside the new dorm house along with the rest of my class. My bags sat at my feet as I chatted with Mina, all of us waiting for Mr Aizawa's arrival.

Suddenly, Kirishima tapped my shoulder. "How are you?" he inquired. "Your injuries and..." He trailed off a little uncertainly.

I managed a smile. "My quirk? It's okay that you know, it was bound to come out anyway."

Kirishima nodded, urging me to continue. I tried to ignore Bakugou, who was very obviously eavesdropping on the conversation he was not a part of (though I wished he were).

"My injuries are alright, my neck will probably have a small scar or two in the end but the rest should heal just fine, especially with the help of Recovery Girl. As for my quirk, it won't be fully back for a few months but when I visited the doctors yesterday they told me that the gene regeneration is going better than expected and I should actually be able to feel and see really strong emotions around me in about two weeks and maybe earlier, if they truly are very very strong," I explained with a smile. "But they can't guarantee it, as there's never been a case like this before."

Kirishima pulled a face. "I'm so sorry to hear that! I can only assume how much your quirk helped you navigate your everyday life!"

I shook my head despite the words hitting home. "It's alright. I had to have something to urge me to work on other fighting skills as well. Besides—"

"Good morning, students," Mr Aizawa interrupted us, appearing seemingly out of nowhere. "Given everything that has happened, I'm glad we were able to bring class A back together."

"We're glad to see the teachers got to come back, too," Tsu commented. "I was afraid you wouldn't be allowed. The people at the press conference seemed pretty upset with you guys."

"I was surprised as well," Mr Aizawa admitted. "But circumstances have changed." He looked at the ground for a moment, gathering his thoughts. "Now then, I'll explain how your dorm assignments will work shortly." He clapped, catching the attention of those who tended to go back to chatting. "First however, we haven't forgotten about the provisional hero licences you were supposed to get at the training camp."

I wanted to face palm. I'd completely forgotten!

"This is important, listen well," Mr Aizawa warned, looking away from whatever spot he'd been staring at in the distance and starting to make actual eye contact with us. "Kirishima, Yaoyorozu, Todoroki, Midoriya, Iida." His eyes narrowed. "You five are the ones who broke the rules and went to rescue Bakugou and L/n that night." Threatening silence took the ground for a moment before our homeroom teacher continued. "Based on your reactions, I assume the rest of you were at least aware of their plan. I'm going to set aside a number of issues and just say this: if it weren't for All Might's retirement from the hero scene, I would expel everyone here, except for Bakugou, L/n and Jirou. The five of you who went, of course, but also the remaining twelve who didn't stop them."

I pulled a face, tactfully looking down as I did so. Yikes!

"You betrayed our trust, even if it was to keep your friends from getting into trouble," Mr Aizawa continued, completely unfazed by the horrified faces of my classmates. "You want to regain our confidence, you'll have to live every rule to the letter and live as model students."

Mr Aizawa blinked.

We all held our breaths.

I squeezed my eyes shut. No way that that's all.

"That's all," Mr Aizawa said, proving me wrong and turning to face the dorm building. "Now look alive, enjoy your new home."

I slumped my tense shoulders, glancing at Bakugou briefly. He wasn't looking at me.

I shook off the cold feeling in my gut and picked up my bags and bundles. "Come on, then, guys. Let's check it out."

Slowly, the rest of the class came back to life and we followed Mr Aizawa inside, where we were stopped again for another talk, this time about our dorms.

But even when Mr Aizawa was talking, I couldn't shake off the feeling that some kind of wall had been built between Bakugou and me. But why or by who, I had no idea. And that... That chilled me to the bone.