44 - ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ & ᴛᴀʟᴋɪɴɢ

Previously on Latibule:

I nodded. "Will do." Before turning, I stopped. "See you at...?"

"We'll find you before we leave," mom assured.

"Got it," I nodded, then turning and going into the crowd to find my classmates, my heart lighter than it had been in the last few days.

-~:~-

Latibule — Chapter 44///Dancing & Talking

-~:~-

"Hi, Katsuki," I said, tapping the boy on the shoulder to get his attention. "You're looking pretty lonely over here."

He shrugged, glancing around at the dancing couples. "Nobody wants to dance with a guy whose suit is broken... Unless you're Icy-Hot."

I chuckled. "I could dance with you."

He raised a brow at me. "I've told you before that I don't need your pity."

"What if it's not out of pity?" I asked lowly, suddenly embarrassed. "I've got to tell you something, anyway."

The boy rolled his eyes but offered me his arm and the both of us joined the couples on the dance floor. From further away, I could see my parents and our classmates send surprised glances at us but, at the moment, I didn't care. My heart was beating too fast for me to think about anything else.

"What is it that you wanted to tell me?" Bakugou asked so calmly that he seemed almost tired.

"You remember the day I was acting all weird in school?" I asked, trying to get the conversation going so as to not just drop the fact.

"The day before summer break? I think I do," the boy nodded. "Are you ready to tell me what was going on?"

"Yes," I nodded, before, in sync with the other dancers, we twirled away from each other for a moment. "It all started the evening before, I think."

"What all?"

"My quirk's evolving, Katsuki," I explained. "That's why I might've acted a bit weird — I felt weird."

He seemed surprised but nodded understandingly. "Thank you for telling me. Do you know what's going on now?"

"Well, instead of just feeling the emotions in the air, I can see them as different colors. Like fog around people's heads and hearts," I described.

The blond smiled. "And what do I look like?"

I titled my head in thought. "Pink. But like a darker sort of it."

Bakugou seemed embarrassed for a second but fought to brush it off. "And you?"

"I think I'm pink, too," I observed. "I can't see my own emotions very well."

"I see," the boy hummed, the both of us stopping along with the music and walking away from the dance floor, as the rest of the crowd did. "Do you know what the colors mean yet?"

I shook my head. "Not really. My mom advised me to start keeping track of them so I'd have a better image."

The boy's shoulders sagged as he looked at me, almost looking like he wanted to say something really important but reconsidered. "That's... nice," he said finally. "If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm all ears."

I smiled. "Right. Thanks, Katsuki."

"Of course, and..." The boy smirked. "Tell a soul about that promise and you're dead."

I laughed. "I won't tell if you don't."

"As if I would."