02 - ʏᴇʟʟɪɴɢ, ᴍᴜᴛᴛᴇʀɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴄᴏʟᴅɪɴɢ

Previously on Latibule:

Relief washed over me as I felt the hotness leave my veins. I raised my gaze again, narrowing my eyes as I looked at my reflection on the mirror's surface, a bit frustrated with my lack of capability to handle myself. Honestly, what was I hoping for? I was never made to be strong, that much was evident in my quirk.

"Pull yourself together, Y/n," I hissed, rolling my eyes as if fate could see it and apologize. "You can do this."

Honestly, I wasn't quite sure of the last statement but if I wouldn't encourage myself, who would, right?

-~:~-

Latibule — Chapter 2///Yelling, Muttering And Scolding

-~:~-

I strided towards the doors, trying to look confident about the upcoming exam. I could see how big the competition was but I also knew I had improved those past few months.

I can do this, I affirmed, closing my eyes in front of the door as I took a deep breath to calm myself with closed eyes.

"Hey!" someone shouted from behind me. "Move it!"

In a millisecond, I analyzed the voice. It sounded rather masculine and, well, angry. I decided I'd just keep walking because that's what I was asked to do, right.

So I did just that, walked away, practically feeling the confused silence radiating from the person behind me. I turned my head just slightly to the left, making it seem as if I was looking at the paintings on the walls, when I actually peeked to see who the one yelling at me had been.

Via the corner of my eye, I saw an ash-blonde haired boy, hands stuffed deep in his pockets and his posture grumpily stiff as he stared at the ground.

My brow quirked up slightly as I faced back ahead. Odd.

><><

The written exam was easier than I expected, which I considered a good thing. The practical would be easier than I had expected, then, too, right?

In the next few minutes I learned that I had been wrong as a hero with bright yellow banana-shaped hair came onto stage and started explaining what we had to do. He managed to make the whole thing so complex that I started doubting if it was the same thing I had read at home.

So, basically, don't attack others but do attack the three types of robots for points— I had started summing up the point in my head when I was so rudely interrupted by a boy a few rows behind me and to the left.

"Excuse me, sir, but I have a question," he spoke up, standing with his back so straight that one would think he was glued to a wall.

However, the teacher wasn't at all disturbed by... whatever it was that I didn't like about that guy. "Hit me!" he called.

A spotlight appeared on the wanna-be hero student. "On the printout you've listed four types of villains, not three," he began, "with all respect, if this is an error on official U.A. materials, it is shameful."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to the front, leaning my head on my hand. Yeah, so, everybody makes mistakes, I thought. That guy was acting weirdly, in my opinion — it sounded as if he was a government official declaring something. And it would've been fine if that was the case but he was just a boy, not any better than any of the rest of us sitting in that room, and yet he made sure to point out something unnecessary.

"We are exemplary students, we expect the best from Japan's most notable school. A mistake such as this won't do," the boy with glasses and dark blue hair continued, making me sigh with exasperation.

If that guy ends up being my classmate, I'll just avoid talking to him, I decided. I knew I might've been wrong to judge him that fast. I stuck to my opinion, though — he was acting very weird for a teenager.

The boy went on to scold someone a few rows behind him for muttering during the lecture-thingy, making me look back with slight interest. Poor guy's probably nervous. I grimaced, feeling the nervous butterflies in my own stomach. I then noticed that the yelling boy from the start of the day was sitting next to the muttering boy. I wondered if they were friends. Or just classmates, perhaps, if I was judging by the way they seemed to recoil from each other.

"All right, all right, examinee 7111, thanks for calling in with your request," the hero and teacher, Present Mic, calmed the situation down. The lightheartedness he took it with was pretty amazing, really. "The fourth villain type is worth zero points!"

As I said, unnecessary, I smirked, celebrating the small victory in my head.

"That guy's just an obstacle we'll be throwing in your way," Present Mic went on, making my stomach drop. I had a feeling that would be a problem, a pretty huge one at that.

Okay, not unnecessary, I admitted, glancing back at the boy who was scolding everyone and everything a few minutes ago, but that doesn't mean I like you.

Present Mic went on with a few comments of what he recommended to do when meeting the said robot (which is avoiding it), and then he moved on to telling all of us that that was pretty much it. There was only...

"A true hero is one who overcomes life's misfortunes," he quoted Napoleon-somebody. "Mhm, now that's a tasty sound bite. You ready to go beyond..."

Everyone seemed to anticipate his next words.

"Let's hear a plus ultra!"

Silence.

"Good luck," the hero went on as he had been ready for no response. "Let's hope you've been practicing more than just books."