chapter 6: unfamiliar reflection

She was exited to continue these lessons with the Sully kids, but after this morning she wasn't anymore. She thought that they would've been different, that he was different. He seemed so sincere and nice the first time she saw him looking over at Tsireya. He actually had softness in his eyes. Now all she sees is disgust and hatred. Disgust and hatred for her.

She stood above the shimmery clear water. She could see her reflection. Sometimes Ngalu would feel like she didn't belong here. Like she didn't belong anywhere, in fact. She wasn't even Ronal and Tonowari's real daughter. Sometimes at night she would think about their love for her. How they probably loved Tsireya more than her because she's actually theirs.

Everybody always compared Ngalu and Tsireya. They would call Ngalu a troublemaker and Tsireya the "calm one". Every boy would only look at Tsireya. She liked to do her hair and decorate it with flowers. Ngalu always ruffled it up immediately doing something active. Ngalu did however like to look for seashells and make neck pieces out of it. That would always calm her down. Sometimes Aonung would help her. He isn't always as terrible as he seems. They would talk about their lives for hours. She loved Tsireya in every way possible but it was tough living her life next to hers.

Ngalu often doesn't recognize her own reflection. Who was the girl standing before her? She didn't know her. She had so many questions about her life. Who are her actual parents? Are they still alive? Does she have her own unique personality or is that something she lacks of too? She feels like an empty shell of a body. She feels like too many pieces of her life are missing to make her an actual person. And nobody seemed to notice.

That fight with Lo'ak made her so angry, Ngalu had to blow off some steam. She decided to swim beyond the reef again. She was holding onto her Ilu tightly as she was jumping over the waves. Her parents are probably going to scold her when she comes back but right now, she couldn't care less. She hoped the water would wash away all of her worries and her angriness.

Once she got out to three brothers rocks, she noticed a small group of Na'vi. What could they be doing all the way out here? They would sometimes fish beyond the reef but not this far out. She decided to get a closer look.

It was Aonung along with Iray, Putukx, Kulhe and, Lo'ak? What was Lo'ak doing here with Aonung and his creepy friends. They were laughing, it looked like they were getting along. Then she noticed the bruises on their faces. Aonung's looked worse than Lo'ak's. She wondered what happened.

When they dove down, she couldn't see them anymore. She knew that this meant no good. Aonung never comes out here. She decided to swim even closer to them to find out what they were up to. She couldn't necessarily see much, they were too far away underwater. She couldn't swim any closer or else they could see her.

It had no use, she couldn't see anything. She swam back up to the surface, but was surprised when Aonung and his friends did the same. They swam away on their Ilu and didn't look back. Did they leave Lo'ak alone? Ngalu didn't care, he could drown if it were up to her. But that was a lie and she knew it. Lo'ak was a prick but he was right, he left everything he had in that forest. He had a right to deal with his emotions. But that didn't mean that he had to be rude to Ngalu, who only tried to make his life more comfortable here.

It was taking a long time before he went up to the surface to breathe again. Ngalu has been waiting this whole time. She didn't even hear his Ilu underwater anymore. This was a bad sign. She decided to go down and see what was up with him. That's when she saw it, the Akula.

Shit! She raced over to Lo'ak. He was trying to hide behind some weirdly shaped rocks while the Akula was attacking him. He was panicking. It was like Ngalu could hear his heartbeat from this far. It looked like he was trying to slow down his heartbeat like Tsireya taught them. It didn't seem like it was working though.

She had to get him out of there before he got himself killed. When she was about to swim over to him, a large animal already got to the Akula before she did.

Was that? A Tulkun! But that's not possible, the Tulkun haven't returned yet. The Tulkun's fin was damaged on the side of his body. That could only mean one thing. It's Payakan. Payakan is a dangerous young bull who went rogue. He killed many Na'vi and other Tulkun. Ngalu thought that Payakan probably saved Lo'ak so that he could kill him himself. Whatever happens today, it can't end in Lo'ak dying. Her parents would kill her.

As Ngalu was about to save Lo'ak from being brutally murdered, Payakan's tail hit her in the head while sneaking up on him from behind and before she knew it everything turned to black.

His eyes slowly opened. He was in pain. It felt like a large Angtsìk had just stepped on him. It was a little hard to breathe but he managed. He looked around. He was floating around on something as waves crashed into it. What the hell was he laying on? As he jumped off into the water, he noticed two eyes. Oh shit, this is a Tulkun.