chapter 18: reunited

'Everybody, our brothers and sisters have returned!' Tsireya yelled, waving her hand while Ngalu looked in awe behind her. They were sitting on their Ilu, watching the beautiful scene in front of them. The Tulkun have returned! They watched as the amazing beings jumped out of the water, landing on their backs. Ngalu's smile was plastered on her face. She was so happy to see the clan once again.

Ngalu swiftly dove into the water, trying to get a glimpse of what was happening. She could already see her mother talking to Ro'a, her spirit sister. When she looked past her, she could see she finally had her calf. He was beautiful. Ngalu remembered her waiting many breeding cycles to have him. Not one thing could remove this ginormous grin from her face.

When she turned her head, the only one she spotted was Beryl, her spirit sister. She rapidly swam up to her, immediately placing her head next to her eyes, holding her. I have missed you so much. She signed to her sister.

'I have missed you so much too! I have so much to tell you.' Beryl told her, moving around with her fins.

As she was holding her sister, she saw her other sister Tsireya, riding her Ilu with Lo'ak behind her. He had his hand on her waist. She couldn't keep her eyes away from that hand. Beryl made a noise. 'What are you thinking, Ngalu?'

Ngalu moved her head back. Of course Beryl would know. It is a long story. She signed, still watching Lo'ak and Tsireya as Tsireya jumped off her Ilu, swimming off to her spirit sister. They greeted each other.

Ngalu's heart sank. Tsireya told her spirit sister that she met a boy. That boy being Lo'ak, of course. She let out a gasp underwater, making air bubbles float up from her lips. She didn't know they were this serious. Tsireya really likes him. Like really really likes him. That means that whatever is going on in Ngalu's head, can't evolve into something else. It can't happen. She's too happy.

And so, Ngalu told Beryl all about what happened. The Sully's coming to their village, flirting with one Sully boy and then fighting with the other one, her strong bond with Kiri while both struggling with a secret, her love for little Tuk, fighting away the feelings she didn't know she had for Lo'ak to keep her sister happy. She told Beryl about all of the fights she had with Lo'ak, still kind of hating him. She told her about that moment they shared by that tree. She told her about Neteyam, who never failed to make her smile at his cute personality. She was finally happy, distracted by all of her usual thoughts.

Lo'ak noticed her from afar, signing at her spirit sister. He couldn't exactly make up what she said, it was going too fast for him and the water made it hard to see. What he could see however, was the incredibly large smile on her face while without him knowing, his lips formed that same smile. She looked so happy. He was confident she was talking about Neteyam. He didn't really care. Seeing her smile was enough.

Kiri came back up to the surface, taking a deep breath. 'She's amazing!' She yelled at Ngalu.

'I know right.' She laughed while Kiri climbed on the rock she was sitting on.

'She's so much like you.' She laughed, leaning back on the rock.

Beryl, formerly talking to Kiri underwater, popped her head above the water. She made a sound, agreeing with Kiri while blowing some water out of the holes in her back.

'I bet Tuk would love her too.' Kiri told Ngalu, looking at her.

Ngalu smiled. 'I think she would too. I think I will introduce her tomorrow.' It was already late, Tuk was already tucked in.

She fiddled with her necklace, looking down into the clear water. The lights shone from underneath. She moved her hand around in it, making the waves light up. 'I love hanging out with my favorite girls.' She looked over at Kiri and then at Beryl, who made an agreeing sound. Kiri smiled at her thinking how she never imagined something like this to happen. For a such a beautiful friendship to flourish between the two.

Suddenly, a hand touched Ngalus shoulder. She turned her head to look up at the boy. 'You have got to stop doing that.' She laughed at Neteyam, standing in front of her now. He had his hands behind his back.

'I have something for you.' He said, rocking back and forth.

Ngalu raised an eyebrow while propping herself up by leaning on her elbows. 'Oh, is that so?' She smirked up at him.

'Here,' He handed her a pinkish red flower. 'It reminded me of you.'

Her eyes softened while standing up, hugging the boy. He was surprised, he didn't expect her to hug him. He could feel his cheeks heating up while she said his name. 'Thank you, Neteyam. Really. I love it.' She pulled out of the hug, grabbing his chin and giving him a peck on his cheek.

Neteyam was flabbergasted, he didn't know what to say anymore. He didn't think of himself as someone to be acting like this. Kiri sat behind them with a smug look on her face. Neteyam's eyes shifted over to her smug face before he rolled his eyes. His eyes moved back to Ngalu putting the flower in her hair. 'How does it look?' She turned around, making her hair swish around.

'You look amazing.' He'd gained his confidence back while smiling at the girl.

Of course with his luck, Lo'ak saw everything happening again. He saw the hug, the gentle kiss she placed on Neteyam's cheek. He was sitting on the warm sand, waiting for Tsireya to meet up with him. He shook his head, thinking this feeling wasn't worth it and walked away with his head hanging low.

Neteyam was still starstruck by the girl sitting next to him. She was introducing him to Beryl. Beryl said something along the lines of "so that is the boy you have been talking about" before getting shushed by Ngalu. Kiri and Neteyam laughed at the both of them, being exactly like each other.

'Ngalu, do you want to eat dinner with us tomorrow?' Neteyam asked her, catching both Kiri and Ngalu off guard. Kiri had to hold in a huge laugh, watching her brother struggle.

Ngalu, eyes wide, took a deep breath. 'Sure, why not?' She said. But was she really ready to face Lo'ak and Neteyam at the same time while their whole family is watching?